Dr. James Gibbs
2008 Exemplary Researcher Award Recipient
We are very pleased to announce that Dr. James Gibbs, Associate Professor in the Department of Environmental and Forest Biology, was selected among several highly qualified candidates to receive the College’s Exemplary Researcher Award. This College-level award recognizes a successful, currently active researcher with exemplary research activity, publication record and graduate/undergraduate student research program.
- Dr. Gibbs has built a thriving research program since arriving at ESF in 1998 from Columbia University. Examples of this research program include designing ecological monitoring programs for US National Parks, studying conservation biology of giant Galapagos tortoises and the ecology of such endangered species in New York as the pygmy rattlesnake and the ovate amber snail.
- Dr. Gibbs has been an author on over 40-peer reviewed articles in such journals as Science, PNAS and Conservation Biology, as well as four books (three that were published just last year.)
- Dr. Gibbs has provided outstanding service to institutions throughout the world, i.e., a three-year service effort to the United Republic of Tanzania/World Bank designing and implementing an ecological monitoring program for the Kihansi Gorge; evaluated the research program of the Charles Darwin Foundation based on the Galapagos Island; participated in the Altai Assistance Project Tour of villages in the Altai Republic, Siberia.
- Dr. Gibbs has served as primary advisor to over 20 former or current graduate students and four postdoctoral scholars, as well as served on the committees of some 80 graduate students since arriving at ESF.
- In May 2007, Dr. Gibbs received the SUNY Research Foundation award for Research and Scholarship.
This award, which is made annually, includes a calendar-year tuition scholarship and graduate assistantship at the PhD stipend level; and a $5,000 research account. Dr. Gibbs will present a campus-wide research seminar highlighting his work in the coming academic year.
Congratulations to James Gibbs on this well-deserved honor!!
Exemplary Archive Links
2017 Exemplary Researcher
- Dr. Stephen Stehman - 2016
- Dr. Georgios Mountrakis - 2015
- Dr. Charles Maynard & Dr. William Powell - 2014
- Dr. Thomas Amidon - 2013
- Dr. Kimberly Schulz - 2012
- Dr. Christopher Nomura 2011
- Dr. Karin E. Limburg 2010
- Dr. Gregory L. Boyer 2009
- Dr. James Gibbs 2008
- Dr. David J. Kieber 2007
- Dr. Myron J. Mitchell 2006