William B. Smith, Ph.D.
Wood Products Engineering
SUNY College of Environmental Science and Forestry
Syracuse, NY 13210
firstname.lastname@example.org 315/470‑6832, fax 6879
Professor, Wood Products Engineering
Director, SUNY Wood Utilization Service
Executive Secretary, New England Kiln Drying Association
- CME 387
- CME 400
- CME 422
- CME 444
- Dry Kiln Workshop (annual industrial outreach)
SUNY College of Environmental Science and Forestry, Syracuse, NY
Ph.D. Environmental and Resource Engineering
M.S. Environmental and Resource Engineering
B.S. Wood Products Engineering
Professor, Wood Products Engineering, and Director, Wood Utilization Service, SUNY College of Environmental Science and Forestry, Syracuse, NY.
Assistant Professor, Wood Science and Technology, University of Massachusetts, Amherst.
Operational Manager, Creosote pressure treated wood products plant, Atlantic Wood Industries, Inc., Hainesport, NJ.
Distinguished Teacher Award, presented by SUNY College of Environmental Science and Forestry Undergraduate Student Association, April 8, 2000.
New England Kiln Drying Association 2004 Bill Rice Achievement Award, in recognition of outstanding contributions to the lumber drying industry.
Memberships in Professional Organizations:
Forest Products Society; Society of Wood Science and Technology; American Wood-Preservers' Association, also member of Technical Committees; New England Kiln Drying Association, also Executive Secretary; International Research Group on Wood Preservation; Empire State Forest Products Association; National Hardwood Lumber Association, Research Member; Sigma Xi, The Scientific Research Society; Lake Erie and Ontario Sawyers & Filers Association.
Numerous invited technical and research presentations, related to wood characteristics and properties, drying, preservation, processing, performance, and deterioration, have been made at scientific conferences, and for industrial associations and organizations, including the Forest Products Society, American Wood Protection Association, New England Kiln Drying Association, American Wood Preservers Institute, Southern Forest Products Association, Great Lakes, West Coast and Keystone Kiln Drying Associations, International Union of Forestry Research Organizations, Empire State Forest Products Association, Northeast Retail Lumber Association, Northeastern Lumber Manufacturers Association, Quebec Wood Export Bureau, Northeastern States Highway Materials Engineers Association, and Western Wood Preservers Institute.
Courses taught at the SUNY College of Environmental Science and Forestry and the University of Massachusetts:
- Fluid Treatments
- Mechanical Processing
- Wood Products Marketing
- Wood-Water Relationships
- Wood Coatings Technology
- Wood Seasoning
- Wood Preservation
- Chemical Processing of Wood
- Chemical Modification of Wood
- Yeo, H., C.D. Eom, Y.Han, W. Kang and W.B. Smith. 2008. Determination of Internal Moisture Transport and Surface Emission Coefficients for Eastern White Pine. Wood and Fiber Science 40(4)553-561.
- Yeo, H., C.D. Eom, Y.Han, B. Ahn, K.M. Kim and W.B. Smith. 2007. Control of Discoloration in Pitch Pine. Forest Products Journal 57(12):58-64.
- Yeo, H. K.B. Shim, D.S. Lee, J.S. Park, C.D. Eom, Y. Han, H.W. Lee, N.H. Lee, W.B. Smith, J.H. Park and M.J. Park. 2007. Effects of Center Boring and Kerf Treatment on Kiln-Drying of Larch Square and Round Timbers. Forest Products Journal 57(11):85-92.
- Anagnost, S.E., S. Zhou, H. Yeo, C.J.K. Wang, W.B. Smith, and D.M. Roberts. 2006. Fungi Inhabiting Southern Pine Utility Poles During Manufacture. Forest Products Journal 56(1)54-59.
- Yeo, H. and W.B. Smith. 2005. Development of a Mass Transfer Coefficient Conversion Method. Wood and Fiber Science 37(1):3-13.
- Rappold, P.M. and W.B. Smith. 2004. An Investigation of the Relationship Between Harvest Season, Log Age and Drying Schedule on the Coloration of Hard Maple Lumber. Forest Products Journal 54(12):178-184.
- Yeo, H. and W.B. Smith. 2004. Control of Interior Darkening in Hard Maple. Wood and Fiber Science 36(3):417-422.
- Denizli, N., L.A. Smith, W.B. Smith and A.N. Tankut. 2004. Physical And Mechanical Properties of Laminated Strand Lumber Treated With Fire Retardant. Forest Products Journal 54(6):63-70.
- Yeo, H., W.B. Smith and R.B. Hanna. 2002. Mass Transfer in Wood Evaluated with a Colorimetric Technique and Numerical Analysis. Wood and Fiber Science 34(4):657-665.
- Yeo, H., W.B. Smith and R.B. Hanna. 2002. Determination of Surface Moisture Content of Wood Utilizing a Colorimetric Technique. Wood and Fiber Science 34 (3):419-424.
- Anagnost, S.E. and W.B. Smith. 1997. Hygroscopicity of Decayed Wood - Implications for Weight Loss Determinations. Wood and Fiber Science 29(3):299-305.
- Anagnost, S.E. and W.B. Smith. 1997. Comparative Decay of Red Maple Sapwood and Heartwood. Wood and Fiber Science 29(2):189-194.
- Smith, W.B., P.F. Schneider and H. Resch. 1996. Rapid Fixation of CCA Wood Preservative with Electromagnetic Energy. Forest Products Journal 46(7/8):47-51.
- Smith, W.B., N. Abdullah, D. Herdman and R.C. DeGroot. 1996. Preservative Treatment of Red Maple. Forest Products Journal 46(3):35-41.
- Smith, W.B., H.O. Canham, J. Harris, E.F. Neuhauser, and A. Smith. 1996. Economic Production Analysis of Radio-Frequency Vacuum Dried Red Oak Dimension Squares. Forest Products Journal 46(3):30-34.
- Park, J.H., G.H. Kyanka, W.B. Smith. 1995. Computation of Drying Stresses in Red Oak using Equilibrium and Non-Equilibrium Creep Models. ASME AMD-Vol.209/MD-Vol.60, Mechanics of Cellulosic Materials pp.135-152.
- Wright, M.E. and W.B. Smith. 1995. Performance of Utility Pole Strength Prediction Techniques. Proceedings, American Wood-Preservers' Association 91:34-54.
- Jung, Hee-Suk and W.B. Smith. 1994. Comparison of Equilibrium Moisture Contents for Conventional Kiln Dried- and High Temperature Dried Softwood Lumber by Moisture Content Determination. The Journal of Korean Wood Science and Technology 22(4):37-42.
- Smith, W.B. 1992. Determining moisture content in eastern red cedar. Forest Products Journal 42(7/8):67-69.
- Smith, W.B. 1986. Treatability of several northeastern species with chromated copper arsenate wood preservative. Forest Products Journal 36(7/8):63‑69.
- Smith, W.B., W.A. Cote, J.F. Siau, and R.C. Vasishth. 1985. Interactions between waterborne polymer systems and the wood cell wall. Journal of Coatings Technology 57(729):27-35.
- Smith, W.B., W.A. Cote, J.F. Siau, and R.C. Vasishth. 1985. Study of interactions between wood and water-soluble organic cosolvents. Journal of Coatings Technology 57(727):83-90.
- Smith, W.B. and J.F. Siau. 1979. High-temperature drying of red pine. Journal of the Institute of Wood Science 8(3):129-133.
- Siau, J.F., W.B. Smith, and J.A. Meyer. 1978. Wood-polymer composites from southern hardwoods. Wood Science 10(3):158-164.
Other Publications (recent, selected):
- Smith, W.B., H. Yeo, B. Morey, C. Stark, C. Tascioglu, P. Schneider, D. Herdman and M. Freeman. 2007. Use of Moisture Meters with Treated Wood. IRG/WP 07-40382. International Research Group on Wood Preservation, Stockholm, Sweden.
- Smith, W.B., H. Yeo, B. Morey, C. Stark, C. Tascioglu, P. Schneider, D. Herdman and M. Freeman. 2007. Development of Moisture Meter Correction Factors for Use with Preservative Treated Wood. in Proceedings of the 10th IUFRO International Wood Drying Conference, Orono, Maine.
- Yeo, H. and W.B. Smith. 2003. Effect of Temperature and Moisture Content on the Discoloration of Hard Maple Lumber. pp. 455-458 in Proceedings of the 8th IUFRO International Wood Drying Conference, Brasov, Romania.
- Yeo, H. and W. B. Smith. 2003. Interior Darkening in Hard Maple. pp 370‑373 in Proceedings: Better Utilization of Wood for Human, Earth and Future, IAWPS, International Conference on Forest Products, April 21‑24, 2003, Deajeon City, Korea. The Korean Society of Wood Science and Technology, Seoul, Korea.
- Smith, W.B., H. Yeo, P. Rappold, D. Herdman and D. Montoney. 2003. Wood Color and Stain Control. pp 91-102 in Proceedings: Quality Drying: The Key to Profitable Manufacturing, September 23-25, 2002, Montreal, QUE. Forest Products Society, Madison, WI.
- Yeo, H., W.B. Smith and R.B. Hanna. 2001. Evaluation of Mass Transfer in Wood Utilizing a Colorimetric Technique and Numerical Analysis. pp. 200-205 in Proceedings of the 7th IUFRO International Wood Drying Conference, Tsukuba, Japan.
- Smith, W.B. and D.E. Montoney. 2000. Wood Color Change and Control During Drying. pp. 111-118 in Proceedings: Quality Lumber Drying in the Pacific Northwest - Vertical Integration = Improved Profit, September 30 - October 2, 1999, Seattle, WA. Forest Products Society, Madison, WI.
- Smith, W.B. and D.J. Herdman. 1998. Effects of Kiln Schedules and Sticker Variables on Board Color and Sticker Stain in Hard Maple. Proceedings of the Twenty-Sixth Annual Hardwood Symposium, Technology and Market Information for the Next Millennium, pp.121-133, National Hardwood Lumber Association, Memphis, TN.
- Smith, W.B. 1995.
Controlling the Kiln-Drying Process. pp. 107-111 in Proceedings: Drying Pacific
Northwest Species for Quality Markets, October 30 - November 1, Bellevue, WA.
Forest Products Society, Madison, WI.
Canham, H.O. and W.B.
Smith. Western New York Forest Industry Initiative, Final ProjectReport. February 1994. Cornell Cooperative
Extension, Ellicottville, NY.