The 2012 FYE Community Retreat
As a part of the SUNY-ESF FYE program, freshmen students are required to participate in the FYE Community Retreat program. This initiative will challenge students as they participate in high and low ropes team building initiatives, connect with fellow students and interact with various ESF faculty and staff members during the event. The retreat is held in September.
- Saturday, September 8, 2012
Students are assigned per their EWP 190 (Writing) course instructor - Jager, Hogan and Blair.
- Saturday, September 15, 2012
Students are assigned per their EWP 190 (Writing) course instructor - DeBaise, Courtwright and Hagadorn.
- Any freshmen not in an EWP 190 course (AP credit) are to attend on 9/8/12.
- Please note that if your are unable to attend your assigned retreat outing day, please contact the staff listed below to discuss possible rescheduling of your assigned retreat attendance date. Remember, this is a mandatory event for all ESF freshmen.
- Mr. Scott J. Blair - Coordinator for Academic Support Services - (315) 470-4921.
Below is a sample agenda of what the day will look like. All freshmen students will hear more about this retreat in the fall and during Orientation. Please take a moment to review the suggested things to bring so that you are prepared.
- 7:00am - Continental Breakfast and Lunch pick up (in Sadler Dining Hall)
- 8:00am - Buses leave from Centennial Hall
- 8:45 am - Welcome and Opening activities
- 10:00am - 12:30pm – Ropes Course Rotation #1
- 12:30pm - 1:15pm - Lunch break
- 1:15pm - 3:45pm - Ropes Course Rotation #2
- 4:00pm - 6:30pm – Ropes Course Rotation #3
- 6:30pm - Closing Activity
- 7:00pm - Buses Depart for ESF
What to Bring
- Comfortable clothes and shoes—we will be doing a ropes course so bring clothes that you do not mind getting dirty, shoes that are comfortable for walking, as well as clothes for chillier weather.
- Rain Gear/Extra Clothing—programs are held rain, shine, or snow!
- Water bottle - Stay hydrated, this is very important!
- You will receive a boxed lunch. If you want to bring a snack along, that's up to you!
- Notebook and pen/pencil.
- Any toiletries, medications, bug spray, etc. that you will need for the day.