May Commencement Weekend May 10-13, 2018
- View a live video stream of the ESF Commencement
Saturday, 5/12, 2:45 - 5:30 (approx.)
Students who complete degree requirements by Friday, April 13, 2018, may participate in the ESF and SU/ESF Commencements.
Those who graduated in August or December, 2017, may also participate.
- Undergraduate students must complete the Undergraduate Application for Graduation and return it to the Registrar’s Office, 111 Bray Hall, by Friday, April 13.
- Graduate Students must complete all graduate degree requirements and must RSVP with the Office of Instruction and Graduate Studies by Friday, April 13.
NOTE: If you do not meet the Friday, April 13 deadline, your name may not appear in the Commencement program.
ESF CommencementSaturday, May 12, 3pm
SRC Arena and Events Center at Onondaga Community College
ESF Commencement is a formal ceremony in which the ESF community recognizes the achievements of graduating students. All graduating students will be announced by name as they walk across the stage and degrees are conferred.
SU/ESF Joint CommencementSunday, May 13, 9:30am
The Carrier Dome
The SU/ESF Joint Commencement is held for all ESF and SU graduating students, marking the special relationship shared by the two schools. For questions contact SU Office of Special Events, 315-443-4631.
Members of the graduating class are encouraged to attend both events.
Complete Commencement Weekend Schedule
NOTE: Tickets are NOT required for either the ESF or SU/ESF joint commencements.
NOTE: If you plan to attend the Spring Awards Banquet on Saturday, April 14, you must contact the Division of Student Affairs at 315-470-6658.
|On-campus parking permits available for Commencement Day parking|
|Grad student deadline to verify eligibility to graduate and for MS or PhD defenses|
|Grad student deadline for final, signed version of thesis or dissertation document and associated paperwork for MS and PhD degrees, or diploma form for MF, MPS, and MLA degrees to Office of Instruction & Graduate Studies|
|Wednesday May 9||
3:00 pmESF Commencement Rehearsal, Marshall Auditorium - Followed by the Champagne Toast in the Gateway Center, sponsored by the ESF Alumni Association
10:00 amCommencement rehearsal in Carrier Dome (enter at Gate “D”)
11:30 amInclusive Excellence Graduation Reception: Nifkin Lounge
Please RSVP via this link by Friday, April 20
|5:00 pmMaster's and Ph.D. Higher Degree Reception and Ceremony, Gateway Center|
9:30 amHonor's Students Ceremony: Gateway Center Room A
|11 amEnvironmental and Forest Biology Awards Ceremony, Illick 5|
12 pmCurriculum-Specific Faculty Receptions for Degree Candidates, their Guests, and Members of the ESF College Community!
Locations of Curriculum Specific Faculty Receptions:
|2:30 pmStudents line up, SRC Arena and Events Center, Allyn Hall Gym|
|3:00 pmESF Commencement, SRC Arena and Events Center, 4585 West Seneca Turnpike, Syracuse Approximate end time is 5:15 pm. We will host a brief Reception meet and greet afterwards for all guests and ESF faculty and staff.|
|9:15 amAcademic Procession|
|9:30 amSU/ESF Joint Commencement will begin at the end of the procession|
Caps and Gowns
Students must wear a cap and gown at both Commencements.
- Undergraduates: no charge for cap and gown.
- Master’s candidates must purchase the master’s recycled keeper cap and gown for $39.95 and hood for $29.95.
- Doctoral candidates must rent a cap and gown for $46.95. Doctoral candidates who have completed all requirements for the degree will receive a free hood as a gift at the Higher Degree Ceremony on Friday night.
Cap and gown pickup will be in the Bray Rotunda, Wednesday, May 2, 10 a.m. - 3 p.m.
ESF Commencement Logistics May 12, 2018
- ESF Commencement Rehearsal Commencement rehearsal is on Wednesday, May 9, 3 p.m., Marshall Auditorium. The rehearsal will be followed by a Champagne Toast in the Gateway Center hosted by the Alumni Association.
- Arrival Students must be at the SRC Arena and Events Center in the Allyn Hall Gym by 2:30 p.m., May 12.
- Order of Departments Students will be arranged by department and given a “name card” to be presented on stage during the ceremony. You will then process into the arena.
- Ceremony Start The ceremony will begin promptly at 3 p.m. All participants will already be seated.
- Procession to the Stage After the Senior Speaker gives remarks, a commencement host will guide students to rise and form a line row by row, and and then proceed to their right, into the aisle and up the stairs. If you are the last student in liine for your department, you will receive a different color name card to mark the changeover to the next department.
- Recognition of Graduates After handing in the name card, each student will cross the stage, shake hands with the president, trustees chair, and department chair, and then return to his/her seat.
Annual Spring Awards Banquet
Held Saturday, April 14, 2018 at The Marriott Syracuse Downtown from 6 p.m. to midnight, this annual, semi-formal dinner recognizes the scholarship, service and contributions of ESF students. Dancing will follow that formal program, and the ESF Year-In-Review presentation will be featured.
- Your pics needed for the ESF Year-In-Review Presentation! We need prints or slides of you and your ESF buddies (the funnier the better). Email photos to Christie Gilbert at firstname.lastname@example.org or drop off items in 110 Bray Hall. All will be returned if marked with your name and address.
This is the biggest social event of the year! Get your tickets as soon as they go on salewatch for advertisements.
Undergraduate Senior Class Meeting
Watch for meeting announcements in email and campus postings. Topics will include:
- Senior Class Gift: Share your ideas for a gift at the upcoming Senior Class Meeting.
- Year-in-Review Senior Slideshow: We will discuss the Year-in-Review Senior Slideshow, to be presented at the Spring Awards Banquet on Saturday, April 14.
If you can’t attend but have input, leave a message for the Senior Class Chair, Christie Gilbert, email@example.com, in 110 Bray Hall.
“I’m Graduating! What Now?”
Need help with job search techniques, writing your resume, interview skills, employer contacts? Have you established contacts to obtain references? There is a way to maintain contact with ESF and to look for employment opportunities. Stop by the Old Greenhouse/110 Bray Hall and see all that is available!
Guest rooms are at a premium during Commencement Weekend. Arrange accommodations NOW!
If Syracuse area rooms are fully booked, you may be able to locate rooms in Auburn, Utica, Cortland, and other towns close to Syracuse.
Also, check the SU Commencement information on reserving space in SU residence hallsspace is limited!
There are many great restaurants in the Syracuse area and new DestinyUSA Mall.
- Syracuse Area Restaurants (Word)
Make reservations well in advance!
Syracuse University will host Commencement Eve Dining Options. Learn more here:
On-campus Parking (ESF and SU)
A limited number of ESF campus parking permits will be available in 110 Bray Hall beginning Monday, April 9, on a first come-first served basis. One permit per family; extra permits may be available Monday, April 30, depending upon supply. Bring your ESF I.D. with you when you come to pick up your permit.
All Syracuse University lots will be open throughout the weekend.
Guests With Limited Mobility
Both the SRC Arena and the Carrier Dome have wheelchair accessible doors on the lower level, and space where guests in wheelchairs can comfortably view the ceremonies.
- For ESF Commencement, guests in wheelchairs or those who need assistance should enter the SRC Arena from Parking Lot 14 directly behind the SRC Arena.
- For ESF/SU Joint Commencement, guests requiring special accommodations can be dropped off in front of the Carrier Dome while someone else parks the car. ESF and SU Public Safety officers are very understanding about this!
Guests Who Are Hearing Impaired
We will be happy to make arrangements to have Closed Captioning at ESF Commencement on Saturday. The ESF/SU Joint Commencement ceremonies are signed, with interpreters located throughout the Dome. Seating locations for hearing impaired guests will be posted in the Carrier Dome.
Questions or Concerns?
- Commencement Weekend and undergraduate questions: Contact the Division of Student Affairs, (315) 470-6658/6660.
- Graduate student questions: Contact the Office of Instruction and Graduate Studies, (315) 470-6599.