Decode Computing Your IDs, Online Portals and Email
It can seem confusing at first to make sense of the ESF's online resources. Here's what you need to know as simply as we can put it:
You will have 3 IDsMuch easier than it sounds...
One for an ID Card....
This is the 9-digit number that will be on your school ID Card.
12345-6789 (Ignore any hyphen or additional number that follows these 9 numbers)
- You need your SUID to activate your SU NetID and set up your ESFiD.
- The SUID number is your most important personal identifier. You will need it for a variety of forms, online and off.
- The SUID number is not part of any lasting log-in credential (username or password).
- Your ID card, however, is essential for access to facilities and services. Always carry it.
... and two Electronic IDs:
SU NetID & ESFiD
Both your SU NetID and your ESFiD are the string of characters (letters, numbers) to the left of the @ in your @syr.edu student email:
Example: If an email address is email@example.com, the SU NetID and ESFiD are both azsmith
Use your SU NetID to access...
- MySlice – for class registration
- Blackboard – the course management system used in most classes at ESF and SU
- SUmail (your @syr.edu email, which will be your official student email)
- Any student services on the SU campus (AirOrangeX wireless, SU printing, Lynda.com, Adobe Connect, etc.)
SU NetID Activation and Information
Use your ESFiD to access...
- Evergreen – ESF's wireless network
- ESF Computing Center Lab/Library PCs and terminals (including printing access)
- MyESF student records portal
- ESF.EDU student email
- ESF Office365 (including Microsoft Office applications, OneDrive, online versions of the Office apps, etc.)
- SUNY Portal and other SUNY systems
ESFiD Set up and Information
You will use 2 different Online Portals
The MyESF portal is where you find...
- curriculum plan sheets (including first semester courses for which you are pre-registered)
- grade reports
- FERPA waiver (manage who sees your information)
- personal financial aid details
- meal plan and housing information
- emergency contact information (you should add or modify if needed)
Log in with your ESFiD (username) and the password you create.
The SU MySlice portal is where you...
- find and register for classes NOTE: all new students are fully pre-registered for the first semester at ESF and schedules should be viewed on MyESF
- make changes to your course schedule add and drop courses
- obtain a parking permit (off-campus students)
Log in with your SU NetID (username) and the password you create.
Your College Email
Your official ESF student email will be an @syr.edu email account. The part to the left of the @ symbol is also your SU NetID and ESFiD. The reason ESF students have an @syr.edu email relates to ESF's information technology partnership with Syracuse University.
You will also have access to an @esf.edu email for your use, but it will not be used for official campus communications for the 2018-2019 academic year.
- Log in to SU Mail (Your SU NetID must be activated before you can do this)
- Log in to ESF email (Your ESFiD must be set up before you can do this)
- Your @syr.edu email password is your SU NetID password (not your SUID Number).
- If you have forgotten your SU NetID password, you can reset it here.
- @esf.edu email for students is new for the fall 2018 semester.
For assistance with @syr.edu or @esf.edu email, please contact the CNS Help Desk at firstname.lastname@example.org or 315-470-6861.