Dr. John Farrell Named Exemplary Researcher at ESF
Director of Thousand Islands Biological Station recognized for aquatic research
Posted May 2017
Dr. John Farrell, a professor in ESF's Department of Environmental and Forest Biology (EFB) was named the College's Exemplary Researcher for 2017-18.
Farrell received his Ph.D. (1998) and M.S. (1991) from ESF and joined the EFB faculty in 2000. Farrell's interests revolve around the broad topic of aquatic ecology and management of aquatic resources. He is interested in developing biological understanding to improve management and stewardship.
Farrell, director of the College's Thousand Island Biological Station (TIBS), focuses his research on fish ecology and coastal wetland ecology, and their application toward addressing environmental problems facing freshwater ecosystems. He is known internationally for this research, said Dr. Christopher Nomura, ESF vice president for research.
TIBS is a major aquatic research facility in North America and Farrell invests time in development activities to support building and other initiatives at TIBS. He engages in development activities such as meeting with members of the Thousand Island community and potential donors. He was co-principal investigator on a $1.2-plus million grant from National Science Foundation to rehab the lab at TIBS and install cyber infrastructure that would connect the facility with the Center for Integrated Teaching and Research in Illick Hall on ESF's main campus in Syracuse.
He has received significant funding from agencies including the National Fish and Wildlife Foundation, N.Y. State Department of Environmental Conservation, the Great Lakes Research Consortium and Cornell University. This funding pays for technicians and graduate students, along with the equipment, supplies and boats needed to run a large research program. Farrell also has an impressive publication record. In 2014 alone, he was co-author on nine peer-reviewed journal publications.
He interacts with the Clayton, New York, community, gateway to TIBS, and encourages his students to contribute to regional outreach activities.
The Exemplary Researcher Award is a college-level award recognizing successful, currently active researchers with exemplary research activity, publication record and a graduate/undergraduate student mentorship program.
ESF Faculty Recognized for Excellence and Achievement
- Study in ‘Nature’ Details Global Land ChangeESF professor, co-authors state changes ‘reflect a human-dominated Earth system’
- Wagner Receives College Foundation Teaching AwardCited for dedication to students, professionalism
- Dr. Timothy Volk Named Exemplary Researcher at ESFWork in sustainable energy and energy systems recognized
- ESF Staff, Faculty Honored by SUNY ChancellorCommitment to students, professionalism recognized
- SUNY Board of Trustees Appoints Interim President of ESFDr. David C. Amberg brings expertise in research, science and administration to college
- AEC’s McNulty Named President of OBFSOrganization supports field stations, research
- ESF Welcomes Camp Fire Professor of Wildlife ConservationDr. Jerrold Belant joins faculty for fall semester
- ESF Lists Top 10 New Species for 2018New to science: plants, animals and microbes that have ‘found a way to survive against the odds’
- Researchers Find Whole Genome Duplication Has Occurred Many Times during Evolution of InsectsESF scientist joins team in publishing findings
- Nomura Group Recognized for Top ArticleTop 100 most-read microbiology papers in Scientific Reports for 2017
- ESF Team among Finalists for $2.5M Canals Competition NPYA celebrates finalists at ESF event
- ESF Professor's New Book Looks at What Makes Something 'Alive'Dr. Scott Turner argues humans must explore living nature as purposeful, driven by desire
- Trees Cope with Harsh Conditions, Surprising Researchers Study in Australia reveals ability to 'wait out the heat'
- ERE Professor Focuses Sabbatical on GIS TechnologyLindi Quackenbush to add Google Earth Engine to advanced remote-sensing course
- Dr. Jack Manno, Cindy Squillace Honored with Racial Justice AwardRetired faculty member earns award from Interfaith Works
- The Ocean Is Losing Its BreathESF scientist joins team in revealing dangers and solutions
- Synthetic Protein Could Be Key in Battle against DiseaseESF scientists contribute to new publication
- Dr. James Gibbs Named SUNY Distinguished ProfessorESF professor earns highest faculty rank
- ‘Extinct’ Floreana Tortoise Species Could Return to Galapagos ESF professor contributes to restoration program
- NSF Grant Funds ESF Ecologist’s Gypsy Moth ResearchDr. Dylan Parry investigates spread of invasive species
- Martin Hogue Receives Teaching AwardCited for dedication to students, professionalism
- Dr. John Farrell Named Exemplary Researcher at ESFDirector of Thousand Islands Biological Station recognized for aquatic research
- ESF Staff, Faculty Honored by Chancellor Commitment to students, professionalism recognized
- ESF Professor Co-authors Declaration to Support Indigenous ScienceStatement endorsed by over 1500 indigenous scientists and allies
- Farther from the Forest: ‘Eye-opening’ Study Shows Rural U.S. Loses Forests Faster than CitiesStudy overturns conventional wisdom about forest loss
- ESF Professor Awarded Research GrantInnovations in green building construction to be studied
- Former ESF President Whaley Honored by NY Bar AssociationState bar group bestows Environmental Law Section award
- ESF Chemistry Professor Appointed VP for ResearchChristopher Nomura aims to increase collaboration
- Dr. Stewart Diemont Receives Teaching AwardCited for creativity, contributions to profession
- ESF Professor Works to Build Community at COP21Dr. Jack Manno runs workshops at ‘Climate Generations’
- Malmsheimer Shares Sustainability Expertise with European PolicymakersFaculty member meets with leaders in Brussels, London
- Oneida Lake Subject of New BookProfessor Donald Stewart co-edits book on lake’s history, ecology
- Professor’s Book Ranks as ‘Outstanding Academic Title’Jack Manno, co-editors address the end of fossil fuels
- Professional Society Honors ESF Landscape ArchitectRichard Hawks named Distinguished Senior Practitioner, Academic Practice
- Dr. Georgios Mountrakis Honored as Exemplary ResearcherResearcher presents Adaptive Peaks Seminar
- Endreny Receives Fulbright Award as Distinguished Chair in ItalyERE chair to serve semester at Parthenope University in Naples
- ESF Faculty, Staff Honored by SUNY ChancellorCommitment to students, professionalism recognized
- ESF Forest Manager Honored by SAFBruce Breitmeyer named Fellow
- Dr. Robert MalmsheimerESF College Foundation Award for Exceptional Achievement in Teaching
- Dr. Kimberly SchulzExemplary Researcher
- Dr. Christopher NomuraExemplary Researcher
- Dr. Lindi QuackenbushESF College Foundation Award for Exceptional Achievement in Teaching winner
- Ken TissESF College Foundation Award for Exceptional Achievement in Teaching winner
- Greg BoyerExemplary Researcher, Chemistry
- George CurryKennedy Distinguished Faculty Chair in Landscape Architecture
- Dr. Robin KimmererDirector, ESF Center for Native Peoples
- Dr. James GibbsDistinguished teacher, honored researcher
- Dr. David KieberExemplary Researcher, Environmental Chemistry