Two ESF Students Earn SUNY Chancellor’s Award
Foley, Zubair honored for excellence
Posted April 2016
ESF seniors Margaret Foley and Fareya Zubair have been honored with the SUNY Chancellor's Award for Student Excellence.
The award is the highest honor bestowed upon students by the State University of New York.
Both Foley and Zubair will graduate from ESF in May. Together, they will serve as class marshals during Commencement ceremonies May 14.
Foley, an environmental and forest biology major from Fredonia, New York, was described in the awards program as "a bright and extremely hard-working student who possesses a seriousness of professional purpose, a passion for the study of environmental biology and rare leadership skills." She was cited for serving "her fellow students and the entire college with vision and determination."
Foley has been a member of the Undergraduate Student Association (USA) since her first year at ESF. She served as first-year class senator and USA director of campus life before taking on the role of president this year. She has been a resident assistant since her sophomore year and serves as an undergraduate teaching assistant for dendrology and biology laboratories. She was the recipient of the ESF Alumni Association Memorial Scholarship and the Phyllis Roskins Award for the Department of Environmental and Forest Biology's (EFB) Outstanding Female, and a participant in the ESF Honors Program. She is a member of Alpha Xi Sigma. In addition, Foley served as student representative on the ESF College Foundation Board of Directors and the ESF Alumni Association Board of Directors, and as a member of the SUNY Student Assembly. She serves on the ESF Strategic Planning Steering Committee and is an ESF Student Ambassador.
Her community service includes volunteering with the Free Bread Program, Canadaway Creek Conservation Project, Page Wildlife Center, Carpenter's Brook Fish Hatchery, Adopt-A-Stream, Cornell Cooperative Extension, Syracuse Inner City Hoops for Peace, Lake Street Elementary School and Fredonia Middle School's backpacking program. She has worked as an intern with Baltimore Woods Nature Center, Jamestown Audubon Nature Center and Friends of Recreation, Conservation and Environmental Stewardship.
Zubair, a biotechnology major from Manlius, New York, was described as "a hardworking student dedicated to making a change in the lives of youth and her peers."
Zubair served as a research assistant on ESF's American Chestnut Research and Restoration Project and has been a teaching assistant in a statistics class. She tutors students in chemistry at a community college. She has been an active member of the Undergraduate Student Association, serving as junior and senior class senator before holding her current position of director of student affairs and diversity. She also served on the planning committees for Earth Week and the annual December Soiree. Zubair has also been a committee member for the ESF Red Cross Blood Drive and is a founding member of "Unearthed," ESF's environmental literary journal.
Her community service includes serving as co-founder and program assistant for Empathy Matters at Syracuse University, an academic associate research volunteer at Upstate Medical University, head judge for the Science Olympiad and a volunteer with the Milton J. Rubenstein Museum of Science and Technology. In addition, she was a program assistant with Science Horizon, an assistant instructor with Kumon and an employee with Lune Chocolat.
The Chancellor's Award for Student Excellence acknowledges students who have received recognition for distinguished achievements. This year, 248 students from 64 campuses received the award. Nominations are sought for students who have best demonstrated and been recognized for their integration of academic excellence with other aspects of their lives including leadership, campus involvement, community service, arts (creative or performing), athletics and/or career achievement.
ESF Students Make their Mark
- Hello, Mr. President — About the Environment…ESF students pen Earth Day ‘elevator speeches’ for Donald Trump
- Two ESF Students Honored with Chancellor's AwardJet Lewis and Ben Taylor receive prestigious awards
- 3 ESF Students among Winners at SU RvD iPrize CompetitionFarm to Flame, Food for Community move on to state competition
- Smile! You’re On Canid CameraESF researcher seeks citizen scientists to help ID photos from trail cameras
- Acorns to Action Strives to Help Victims of Natural DisastersESF students focus on providing resources, knowledge to rebuild sustainably
- ESF Student Part of First-Place Team in Hult Prize CompetitionSayje Lasenberry is member of Farm to Flame Energy team
- Zachary Smith's Commencement SpeechEnvironmental studies major was chosen as student speaker
- Senior Accomplishes Goal: ‘Publish in a Journal’Environmental health major co-authors paper about discovery linked to fighting cancer
- ESF Students Participate in SEA Semester ProgramEFB majors set sail in the Atlantic Ocean
- Class of '17 Joins ESF Alumni RanksDegrees and ESF flags in hand, graduates celebrate accomplishments
- Chemistry Student Wins AwardGraduating senior Curtis Wilhelmsen recognized by environmental division of the American Chemical Society
- ESF Announces Commencement Weekend ActivitiesNumerous events celebrate students’ achievements
- ERE Major Builds Lengthy Resume at ESFTight-knit community, real-world experience made college stand out
- ESF Students Win StoryFest CompetitionTop prize is trip to Brazilian Rainforest for storytelling expedition
- Student from Nepal Finds Her Niche at ESFJyotika ‘Nicci’ Shah plans career in water quality
- ESF Education a Family Affair for Schiavone BrothersThree siblings share a major and a graduation date
- ESF Nordic Skier Competes in World University GamesConducts study on perfluorocarbons between races
- Academics, Athletics, Affordability Lure Soccer Captain to ESFHeather Carl makes her mark on campus
- Daily Adventures Mark Trip to South AmericaRosen Fellowship funds experience of a lifetime
- Student from Italy Finds Motivation at ESF"Here I am constantly pushed to do more"
- Walk on the Wild SideFellowship Funds Trip to South Africa
- USA President Focuses on Building RelationshipsBen Taylor leads 'growth year' for student government
- ESF Junior Honored as 'Unsung Hero'Shewa Shwani to receive award at Dr. Martin Luther King Jr. Celebration
- ‘Jet’ Lewis Builds Busy Life as ESF SophomoreCalifornia resident says diverse ideologies made ESF stand out
- Dedication to Environment Brings Student to ESF from Mexico'There is no other place like ESF,' freshman says
- Beer Eases Final Moments for Euthanized InvertebratesGraduate student seeks humane method for ending lives of research subjects
- ERE Major Tackles Wastewater Plan in IcelandFink Fellowship Supports Summer Abroad
- 44 ESF Students Spend Summer as DEC Interns‘Phenomenal’ range of work can help launch careers
- Paper Engineering Boosts Student through Semester AbroadGraduate-level classes and travel highlight trip to Germany
- ESF Alumnus Begins Peace Corps Service Caleb Rudge to spend two years in Paraguay
- Dream Becomes Reality for ESF SeniorRosen Fellowship supports summer internship in Stockholm
- Summer on the FarmFink Fellowship sends ESF junior to work on Thousand Islands farm
- SRC Fellowship Supports Student in Battle against Mosquitoes Chemical compound could help stop spread of disease
- ESF Landscape Architecture Students Receive ASLA HonorsHonor and merit certificates presented
- ESF Student Finalist for Olmsted Scholar AwardKathryn Chesebrough recognized for academic excellence
- ESF Graduate Joins Teach for America Peter LeDuc finds passion for teaching at ESF
- Advice for Graduates: Stay United, 'Enjoy Your Wisdom'Class of 2016 celebrates at Commencement
- Two ESF Students Earn SUNY Chancellor’s AwardFoley, Zubair honored for excellence
- Closed-Loop Art: Woodburner Uses Material at HandSenior donates artwork to Student Showcase Symposium
- Honors Student Works with 'Best Thing Ever': ElephantsTravel takes Yvonne Lim to Elephant Nature Park in Thailand
- ESF Ph.D. Student Selected as Junior Fellow in Korea
- The Cheer Fun of ItESF student leads SU cheer team
- Ph.D. Student Appointed to Federal Advisory PanelYang joins National Coal Council
- ‘Great Experience’ Takes Grad Student to BulgariaMLA student spends summer monitoring primitive horse population
- ESF Senior Wins Fulbright Research AwardGabriel Smith heads to Sweden to study fungi
- ESF Grad Student Awarded Rare Book School ScholarshipProgram delves into history of hand papermaking
- ESF Senior Honored at National STEM ConferenceCSTEP student Danielle Berry wins second place for poster
- Meghan JohnstoneTraveler in Australia, Nature Conservancy Intern
- Michael AmadoriAquaponics Research
- Ryan HenrySU's biggest sports fan.
- Lauren AlteioHarvard Forest Program
- Brookhaven National Laboratory InternsCourtney Buckley, Daniel Larkin, Michael Norman and Beverly Agtuca
- Brendan-Michael Galloway Greater Research Opportunities Fellowship
- Lynne BeattyMarine resources workshop participant
- Kristen AnthonyLandscape Architecture student, and SU competitive skier
- Craig LazzarEssay Contest nets ESF Senior $10,000
- Zachary KingBiotechnology Researcher
- Daniele BakerSUNY Chancellor's Award for Student Excellence Recipient
- Greg BoydESF Senior, biodiesel expert
- Khristopher DodsonPublisher of Envi magazine
- Cara StaffordInvasive Plant Technician, Catalina Island
- Irony SadeBiotechnology Major
- April Karen BaptistePh.D. Candidate, Fulbright scholar, ESF
- Leah Dudziak & Lisa RuggeroTwo ESF Students on SU Dance Team