Tips & Resources
Academic Support Services Office
Academic Success Center | 109 Moon Library | (315) 470-4919 | email@example.com
Everyday Study Tips:
- Decide what to study and how much you will be completing. Stick to the deadlines you have set for yourself.
- Have designated places to study. Take into consideration lighting, temperature, noise levels, and availability of materials-your residence hall room is not always the best option.
- Your tutor can only help you so much. Come prepared to your tutoring session with questions that you have and actively participate in the session.
- Study 50 minutes and then take a 10 minute break. Stretch, relax and have a snack before going back to studying to reenergize yourself and refocus.
- Allow longer time periods of time for organizing relationships and concepts, and outlining and writing papers. Use shorter time intervals for note memorization, review, and self-testing. Use those odd moments to recall and review your notes.
- Review your class notes on a daily basis.
- If you get tired or bored, switch the task, activity, subject, or environment. Stop studying when you are no longer being productive.
- Study with a friend. Quiz each other, compare notes, and predict test questions.
As you prepare for finals remember:
- Your tutor can only help you so much. Come prepared to your final tutoring sessions with questions that you have and actively participate in the session.
- Find out the format of the exam and adapt your study methods to reflect the format.
- Begin studying and looking over your notes NOW! Try to briefly look over your notes or focus on one section of your notes each day. Don’t wait to the last minute!
- If your exam is cumulative, look at past exams, homework, quizzes, etc.
- Think like your professor. What types of questions would he/she place on the final? How would he/she expect you to adequately answer the question?
- Test yourself to see if you really know the material. Make flashcards, practice tests, quiz each other, etc.
- Remove yourself from distractions (Facebook, friends, phone, etc.) when you are studying. Go to the library, lock yourself in your room, or go to that special place to study.
- Get plenty of sleep the night before the exam.
- Reward yourself with breaks if studying for long stretches of time.