Connecting with Windows
Microsoft Windows lets you connect to a web folder by mapping it as a network place/drive on your computer. Note that this is a live connection to your web content and not a local copy of your files.
Mapping a Network Drive
- Choose "Computer" in the Start menu.
- Choose "Map network drive" from the toolbar or by right clicking in the Network Location region.
- Select a drive letter you'd like to use (any unused letter, maybe 'Q', 'N', 'V', etc.)
- For Folder, enter the path to the folder you wish to access like this:
NOTE that instead of "foldername", you will enter the text for the folder or folder\subfolder combination you are permitted to edit, such as \admissions\ or \admissions\transfer\ .
- If you are logged in to your computer as your permitted account, click finish. If not, check the "Connect using different credentials" box and click Finish. You should then be prompted to enter your username and password -- for example:
(enter username carefully: include esfadmin; use \ not / in username)
1234abcd (your password)
You should now see a window with icons for your folders and files. You may drag, drop, open, copy and/or delete just as you would with any other files and folders on your computer. Remember that the files in this window are live web files!
Keeping copies of files on your personal computer
If you wish to keep two copiesa master on your computer and one on the web serveryou must drag-and-drop or otherwise copy the file(s) from this window to a local folder.
By default, this should reconnect every time you log in to your computer as the drive letter you selected in step 3. You can save directly to this space if you're exporting files - just remember, these are live on the web.
Usernames and Passwords
Faculty & Staff:
- DOMAIN\USERNAME: esfadmin\username
(NOTE: use \ not / , username same as esf.edu email, i.e., email@example.com)
- PASSWORD: same as esf.edu email/webmail (NOT faculty/staff login password)
- DOMAIN\USERNAME: www\username
(NOTE: \ not / , username same as syr.edu email, i.e., firstname.lastname@example.org)
- PASSWORD: same as syr.edu email/webmail
- Graduate Applicant Portal
- Accepted Graduate Student Portal
- Personal Web Profiles (Graduate Public information Manager)
- Public information systems log-in (all public data systems, including news, events, room reservation (ESF Spaces), Faculty Public Information Manager)
Contact us at 470-4858, email@example.com or drop by 123 Bray.