Illick Hall is home to the Department of Environmental and Forest Biology (EFB) and features the College’s beautiful greenhouses located on the roof of the building. It also houses the Roosevelt Wild Life Collection (named for Theodore Roosevelt, the 26th president of the U.S. and a dedicated conservationist). EFB is the College’s largest academic department, and Illick Hall contains faculty offices, laboratories and classrooms, along with a small lecture hall.
The construction of Illick Hall on the south side of campus created the ESF Quadrangle, an open-air gathering place for the College community. Illick shared dedication ceremonies on Oct. 11, 1968 with its neighbor on the Quad’s west end, Moon Library. It is located directly across the street from Syracuse University’s Carrier Dome.
The Roosevelt Wild Life Collection, housed in Illick Hall, honors President Theodore Roosevelt and is a legacy of the Roosevelt Wild Life Forest Experiment Station. The facility, located in upstate New York, was established as a memorial to him in May of 1919. The goal of the station was to investigate forest wildlife including habitats, life histories, propagation methods, and scientific management while at the same time promoting a wide public interest in natural history through outdoor study. This mission truly matched President Roosevelt’s beliefs. Dr. Charles C. Adams, the first director of the Experiment Station wrote of Roosevelt, “He never outgrew his first love of wild nature and wild things of the field and forest. This knowledge was the fertile soil upon which grew his conservation plans.”