The Writing Resource Center
ESF's Writing Resource Center (WRC) is a free service designed to support the development of undergraduate students' personal, academic, and professional writing skills. WRC tutors work with students in individualized 25 or 50 minute interactive sessions focused on brainstorming, organization, drafting, and/or revising among other writing related tasks. Our mission is to help writers succeed in a strong ESF writing community.
We are located in the Moon Library basement, Room 13, between the library offices and the computer lab.
- Kurt Stavenhagen is Director of the Writing Program and oversees the WRC.
- Dawnelle Jager is WRC Coordinator and primary contact. You can speak with either Kurt or Dawnelle if you have questions about the WRC.
- WRC Guidelines and Support for Graduate students (PDF)
- Recommended Writing & Oral Communications Support for ESF International Graduate Students (PDF)
You can check our hours of operation and make an appointment by accessing:
In order to secure an appointment, please do the following:
- Visit us on http://esfwritingcenter.appointy.com/ and create an account
- Select a time and schedule an appointment.
- Check your email for a confirmation note from the Appointy System.
Our hours of operation are also posted outside the Writing Center. If a tutor is available, you may drop in for a session.
We are fortunate to have graduate and undergraduate tutors who are trained to provide support for your individual needs from your writing process to developing many different writing projects from essays to job application materials.
International and ESL Conversation Group
What You Can Expect in a Tutoring Session
Writing tutors are experienced and accomplished writers who can help you develop writing skills. Here are a few examples of writing session goals and what tutors can do to encourage the development of your writing skills:
- Learn how to examine a variety of purposes, audiences, formats and structures of writing tasks.
- Help you understand class assignment expectations.
- Encourage you to brainstorm and think through different approaches to writing.
- Identify and correct problems in all stages of your writing process.
- Assist with organization and format.
- Teach grammatical concepts and proofreading strategies as related to specific texts and assignments.
Note tutors are not in a position to formally edit your papers or enter into questions or disputes about grades you've received on your papers; you should discuss issues about your grade directly with your professor.
Faculty Requests for WRC Services
We welcome students who are working on specific class projects. In order to accommodate faculty requests, please contact the Coordinator at least three weeks before the service is needed and the request will be accommodated depending on the schedule and availability of staff.
We have a number of grammar books that you may find useful. We also have style books, tip sheets on various writing topics, information on preparing job application materials, and sample reports. In addition, we have computer stations and tutors who have completed the types of writing assignments you are assigned in your courses.
What Students Say...
Not only is Cathy a great tutor, but she is also a friendly face that makes me feel comfortable about coming to the rewriting center. I believe that Cathy did an outstanding job helping me out with my essays this semester. By working with Cathy my GPA has gone up from a 3.5 to a 3.7. I am really thankful for this great service ESF provides and hope it continues to be available for the students.
I had a great experience working with Melanie in the writing center. It is a great resource that you should take advantage of regardless of where you are in the writing process. Usually, I bring in my final copy of a paper to improve upon it but, having another persons perspective while organizing my ideas was helpful on my last assignment. Making the appointment was also very quick and easy.
Matthew James Purdy
The Writing Center/Public Speaking Lab was a great experience during my first two years here. Tutors here are very helpful, determined, ambitious, motivated, punctual and friendly. Every time I step into this place, I feel a pleasant, friendly atmosphere. When I finish my tutoring sessions, I feel confident in my writing skills and public speaking skills. I honestly would recommend that students visit the WRC/PSL as soon as they need help with any writing or public speaking assignment. I bet you will feel a burst of confidence in your writing/public speaking skills and you will want to share those feelings with your peers.
Elizabeth Mardy aka "Z"