Career Fair Prep
Career Fairs are a great way to network with employers and organizations that you have an interest in, right here on our campus. Spend time preparing yourself before the Career Fair to ensure your success!
Before the Career Fair
Before the Fair, research employers using the fair information on Handshake. Review the list of employers and their websites. Be prepared to discuss your relevant skills, interests, background, and career goals at the fair. Think about how to “sell” your qualifications in about 2 to 3 minutes.
Career Development Series
There are certain things all students need to know to successfully get a job. Whether you're applying for jobs this semester, or starting to plan for your future, the Career Development Series is a great resource. Make sure to check out the Career Development Series page for more information!
During the Career Fair
During the Fair, create a good first impression in business casual attire. Bring copies of your updated resume for employers. Also be prepared to submit a resume online, as some employers only accept resumes in this format. Ask for business cards of employers for follow up purposes. Ask them about upcoming events and/or next steps. Take a few notes to remind you of key information.
Questions to Ask at a Career Fair
- What types of skills and experience are you are seeking?
- What challenges do you see for your organization?
- What do you like most about your organization?
- Are there immediate openings in your organization? What jobs do you anticipate will open?
- Do you have internships or summer jobs?
- Considering my particular career interest, are there additional people in the organization I should contact?
- What are the typical entry-level opportunities?
- What skills are most important for a position in this field?
- Describe the “normal” career path in your organization.
- What type of training is available for entry-level staff?
- What advice would you give to someone who wants to break into this field?
- What is the hiring process like at your organization?
After the Career Fair
After the Fair, follow up with employers by emailing them. Thank them for their time and inform them of any positions you apply for at their company.
Inspired in part by: Syracuse University Career Services, Cornell Career Services, UC Berkeley Career Center, and RIT Career Services