ESF Connections is a program designed to enhance the ESF student experience and prepare you to launch your own professional career. By connecting with alumni, you will gain assistance with career exploration and advice that will aid in the development of you professional persona. Additionally, the program will provide you with some real-world experience to help you explore your interests and increase your marketability within your career field.
Opportunities to Connect with ESF Alumni
These include, but are not limited to:
Job Shadow Program: Visit an ESF alumni and learn about their profession, industry, and/or organization, gain a tour of their workplace, ask any questions you may have and observe their daily routine. See below for more detail on our Job Shadow Program.
Informational Interviews: Speak to an ESF alumni (either via in-person, phone, or the web) about their experiences and skills, gain career advice and industry insight, and ask any questions you may have.
Mock Interviews: Connect with an alumni to participate in mock interviews either in-person for planned on-campus events, phone conversations or web-based technology.
Resume Reviews: Share your resume with an alumni to seek their feedback either in-person for planned on-campus events or electronically.
Job Shadow Program Details
Eligibility: Student must be registered as a full-time student and be in good academic and social standing.
Prior to Job Shadow
- Host site will be confirmed with student and host.
- Attend and participate in an Job Shadow Program Prep workshop or 1:1 meeting.
- Student will connect with the host organization to confirm the final details (i.e. start times and dates; directions to the host location; transportation options; security requirements to enter the facility; contact information for the host, and other pertinent information).
Students During Job Shadow
- Be prompt arriving at the host site.
- Be prepared to sign confidentiality and or privacy documents if the organization requires these.
- Participate in all the activities that are planned for that day.
- If there are breaks in the planned schedule, use the Sample Questions on the Job Shadow Program Guide to obtain more information about the organization.
- Be professional, courteous, and enthusiastic about this opportunity.
Completion of Job Shadow
- Write a thank you note to the host(s): email thank-you is appropriate.
- Complete the Student Job Shadow Survey.
Student Career Links
- Career Advising
- Changing Your Major
- Career Resources, Top Docs and Quick Links
- Personality Traits, Interests, Skills, Values & Interests
- International Students
- Students with Disabilities