e s f home link - e s f college of environmental science and forestry
e s f home link - e s f college of environmental science and forestry

State & Federal Agencies

The Bureau of Land Management (BLM), in the U.S. Department of the Interior is responsible for the management of 341 million acres of public lands located primarily in the West and Alaska, in addition to scattered parcels in other states. BLM manages this land for multiple use and sustained yield. Land use plans are developed with public involvement to provide orderly use and development while maintaining and enhancing the quality of the environment.

Bureau of Land Management, 18th and C Street, N.W., Washington, DC 20240,  (202) 208-5717  (202) 208-5717 , Internet: http://www.blm.gov

The Cooperative State Research, Education, & Extension Service (CSREES) of the U.S. Department of Agriculture coordinates and provides administrative, technical, and other services to a nationwide Cooperative Extension System, in partnership with state and local governments and the private sector. The primary function of this system is to take the research findings of the Department of Agriculture, the state land-grant colleges and programs administered by the Department of Agriculture, and to develop and deliver informal, out-of-school educational programs. These programs communicate and demonstrate to people how they can apply research findings to identify and solve farm, home, and community problems. The goal of the Extension Service Revitalizing Rural America program is to expand rural jobs and incomes.

CSREES, U.S. Department of Agriculture, 14th and Independence Avenue, S.W.,Washington, DC 20250 202-720-2791, Internet: http://www.csrees.usda.gov/

The Council on Environmental Quality (CEQ) advises the President on environmental matters, oversees the implementation of the National Environmental Policy Act, and prepares an annual report on the state of the environment.

Council on Environmental Quality, Old Executive Office Bldg., Room 360, Washington, DC 20502,  (202) 456-6224  (202) 456-6224 , Internet: http://www.whitehouse.gov/CEQ/

The Economic Development Administration (EDA), part of the Department of Commerce, aids the long-range economic development of areas with severe unemployment and low family income problems. EDA assists in the development of public facilities and private enterprise to help create new, permanent jobs.

Economic Development Administration, U.S. Department of Commerce, 14th & Constitution Avenue, Room 7800B, Washington, DC 20230,  (202) 482-5081  (202) 482-5081 , Internet: http://www.doc.gov/eda/

The Rural Development Program, within the U.S. Department of Agriculture (USDA), operates several federal programs designed to strengthen family farms, finance new and improved rural housing, develop community facilities and infrastructure, and create and maintain rural employment. USDA Rural Development provides financial assistance to rural people and communities who cannot obtain commercial credit at affordable terms. FmHA administers several programs that assist farmers or rural communities in general.

USDA Rural Development, Stop 0705, 1400 Independence Ave., SW, Washington D.C. 20250-0705, (202) 720-4323  (202) 720-4323 , Internet: http://www.rurdev.usda.gov/rd/aboutrd.html

The National Endowment for the Arts (NEA), an independent agency of the federal government, was created to encourage and assist the nation’s cultural resources. It provides information about the arts, their artistic and financial health, and the state of their audiences. NEA awards grants through its Design Program to individuals, nonprofit organizations, and local governments for projects that promote excellence in architecture, landscape architecture, and community design. Through its Folk Arts Program, NEA awards grants for documenting folklife traditions. The objective of the Expansion Arts Program of the Rural Arts Initiative is to strengthen rural arts organizations.

National Endowment for the Arts, 1100 Pennsylvania Avenue, N.W. Washington, DC 20506,  (202) 682-5400  (202) 682-5400 , Internet: http://www.arts.gov

The National Park Service (NPS), of the U.S. Department of the Interior, is the principal federal agency responsible for preservation law and activities. The National Historic Preservation Act of 1966, with amendments, creates the basic framework for community preservation planning and provides the legal structure for the retention of historic properties. The Act established the National Register of Historic Places to recognize, identify, and evaluate significant historical properties. The federal government provides funding for the National Register listing and for the federal review process and provides incentives to encourage reuse of income-producing historic properties. The Recreation Resources Assistance Division of the National Park Service administers the Rivers and Trails Conservation Program, which consists of planning and technical assistance that protect the nation’s rivers, trails, and greenway corridors; expands recreation opportunity; and builds institutional capability for conservation. The programs provide technical assistance to states, local governments, and private interests through statewide river and trail activities, river and trail corridor planning, and rails-to-trails programs.

National Park Service, 1849 C Street, NW, Washington, DC 20240,  (202) 208-6843  (202) 208-6843 , Internet: http://www.nps.gov

National Register of Historic Places:  (202) 343-1572  (202) 343-1572 Internet: http://www.cr.nps.gov/places.htm

The Natural Resources Conservation Service (NRCS),(formerly the Soil Conservation Service or SCS), within the U.S. Department of Agriculture, develops and carries out a national soil and water conservation program in cooperation with landowners, operators, other land users and developers, community planning agencies and regional resource groups, and federal, state, and local government agencies. NRCS assists in agricultural pollution control, environmental improvement, and rural community development. It is also responsible for the Resource Conservation and Development Program (RC&D), which develops local capability to operate and maintain a planning and implementation process for local projects.

USDA-Natural Resources Conservation Service, Community Assistance and Rural Development Division, STOP 2890, 1400 Independence Avenue, S.W., Room 6013-South Bldg., Washington, D.C. 20250-2890, Phone:  (202) 720-2847  (202) 720-2847 Fax: (202) 690-0639, Internet: http://www.nrcs.usda.gov

The New York State Department of Environmental Conservation (DEC) has three main functions: natural resource management, environmental quality protection and the promotion of public health, safety and recreation. DEC protects, improves and conserves the state’s land,water, air, fish, wildlife and other resources to enhance the health, safety and welfare of the people and their overall economic and social well-being.

NY State Department of Environmental Conservation, 50 Wolf Road, Albany, NY 12233-1011 518-485-8940 Fax 518-457-7744 Internet: http://www.dec.state.ny.us

State Divisions (for complete listing, see website): Fish and Wildlife  (518) 457-5690  (518) 457-5690 Marine Resources  (516) 444-0430  (516) 444-0430 Lands and Forests  (518) 457-2475  (518) 457-2475 Environmental Remediation  (518) 457-5861  (518) 457-5861 Recreation  (518) 457-2500  (518) 457-2500 Public Affairs and Education  (518) 457-0840  (518) 457-0840 Forest Rangers  (518) 457-5740  (518) 457-5740 Environmental Enforcement  (518) 457-4348  (518) 457-4348

The New York State Department of Transportation (DOT) functions and duties generally are as follows: Coordinate and develop comprehensive transportation policy for the State; coordinate and assist in the development and operation of transportation facilities and service including highway, railroad, mass transit, port, waterway and aviation facilities and formulate and keep current a long-range, comprehensive statewide master plan for the balanced development of commuter and general transportation facilities, both public and private.

NYS Department of Transportation, Governor Harriman State Campus, Building 5, Albany, NY 12232 (518) 457-6195 Internet: http://www.dot.state.ny.us

Technical Services Division  (518) 457-4445  (518) 457-4445

New York State Office of Parks, Recreation, and Historic Preservation, is more than parks and historic sites. OPRHP sponsors concerts and arts, fairs and festivals, sports and athletics for people of all ages and abilities, boating and snowmobiling programs, nature study and outreach programs. OPRHP grants programs provide assistance for boating and snowmobiling enforcement, aid to zoos, botanical gardens and aquariums. OPRHP administers funds for federal historic preservation and park programs and the 1986 New York State Environmental Quality Bond Act, the Environmental Protection Fund and the 1996 Clean Water / Clean Air Bond Act.

NYS Office of Parks, Recreation and Historic Preservation, Albany, New York 12238 (518) 474-0456 or  (518) 486-1899  (518) 486-1899 (TDD) Internet: http://nysparks.state.ny.us

The Rural Utilities Service (RUS), part of the U.S. Department of Agriculture, administers programs that are intended to ensure that rural America has reliable and affordable electrical, telecommunications, and water utility service. The Electric Program of the RUS makes insured loans and guarantees of loans to nonprofit and cooperative associations, public bodies, and other utilities. Insured loans primarily finance the construction of facilities for the distribution of electric power in rural areas. RUS telecommunications lending creates public - private partnerships to finance the construction of the telecommunications infrastructure in rural America. RUS also helps develop water and waste disposal (including solid waste disposal and storm drainage) systems in rural areas and towns with a population not in excess of 10,000. The funds are available to public entities such as municipalities, counties, special-purpose districts, Indian tribes, and corporations not operated for profit. RUS also guarantees water and waste disposal loans made by banks and other eligible lenders.

Rural Utilities Service, USDA Rural Developmen,t Stop 0705 - 1400 Independence Ave., SW, Washington D.C. 20250-0705,  (202) 720-4323  (202) 720-4323 , Internet: http://www.rurdev.usda.gov/rus

The Small Business Administration (SBA) protects the interests of small business by ensuring that small business concerns receive a fair proportion of government purchases, contracts, and the sale of government property. The SBA provides funds to small business investment companies that make equity and venture capital investments and supply advisory services and counseling to small businesses. The Small Business Loan Program is a loan guarantee made through local banks to those creditworthy small businesses which have a reasonable chance of repayment. Both the Small Business Institutes (SBIs) and Development Centers (SBDCs) provide counseling and training to small business clients.

Small Business Administration, 409 3rd St., S.W., Washington, D.C. 20416,  1-800-U-ASK-SBA  1-800-U-ASK-SBA , Internet: http://www.sba.gov

The U.S. Department of Housing and Urban Development (HUD) Office of Community Planning and Development administers the major federal community development, economic development, housing rehabilitation, and homeless shelter programs. These programs provide a comprehensive array of community assistance to state and local governments. HUD gives grantee governmental units latitude to insure that local spending decisions meet local needs, although based on national program objectives. Among HUD’s programs are the Community Development Block Grant (CDBG)/Small Cities Program and the Rental Housing Rehabilitation Program.

U.S. Department of Housing and Urban Development, 451 7th Street, S.W., Washington, DC 20410,  (202) 708-1422  (202) 708-1422 , Internet: http://www.hud.gov

Historic Preservation Information:  (202) 755-6610  (202) 755-6610 Rehabilitation Loans:  (202) 755-0367  (202) 755-0367

The United States Forest Service, within the U.S. Department of Agriculture, promotes and achieves a pattern of natural resource use that will best meet the needs of people now and in the future. Among the Service’s tasks are the generation of forest opportunities to accelerate rural community growth, the protection and improvement of the quality of air, water, natural beauty, and open space environment in urban and community areas, the encouragement of growth and development of forestry-based enterprises and optimum forest land ownership patterns, the expansion of environmental conservation, and the involvement of the public in forestry policy and program formulation.

United States Forest Service - USDA, Auditors Building 201, 14th Street, S.W. at Independence Ave., S.W., Washington, DC 20024 (202) 205-1760, Internet: http://www.fs.fed.us

Back to the Resources choices or back to CCDR home