ESF Scientists to Celebrate National Chemistry Week
Free, hands-on demonstrations put focus on chemistry and wellness
Students from the ESF Department of Chemistry will demonstrate the connection between chemistry and healthy living this weekend.
Chemistry in Health will be held 10:23 a.m. to 3:30 p.m. Oct. 23 at Manley Field House. The day will be filled with free chemistry demonstrations, prizes, and health information for all ages. The exhibits will highlight how chemists contribute to improving health by making important contributions to education, the prevention of illness and finding cures for diseases.
Prior to Chemistry in Health, the inaugural Carol M. Baldwin "A Run for THEIR Life" 15K run and 5K run and walk will be held at 9 a.m. Same-day registration at Manley Field House is available beginning at 7 a.m., closing at 8:15 a.m. The run/walk travels through the University Hill area and Armory Square. More information about the run/walk is available at www.findacurecny.org.
Chemistry in Health is part of National Chemistry Week Celebration and also falls on Mole Day which commemorates Avogadro's Number (6.02 x 1023), which is a basic measuring unit in chemistry, making Oct. 23 - or 10/23 - a special day in the world of chemistry. Hence, as well, the unusual start time for the event.
Organizations participating in Chemistry in Health are The Alchemists and general chemistry class students from ESF, Syracuse University, Onondaga Community College, Utica College, SUNY Cortland, Hamilton, and Lemoyne. High school students from East Syracuse Minoa, Fayetteville-Manlius, Jamesville-Dewitt, and Jordon-Elbridge will also participate.
Manley Field House is located at the corner of East Colvin Street and Comstock Avenue.
Recent ESF News
- Mighty Oaks Soccer Teams End Season at USCAA Championships
- Women's Cross Country Team Wins National Championship
- ESF Team Reports Discovery of Unusual Molecule
- ESF Alumna Leads Cannabis Team for Law Firm
- 38 ESF Students to Attend Zero Waste Conference
- ESF Represented at Forestry and Wood Products Summit
- Mighty Oaks Sweep HVIAC Tournament
- ESF Kicks Off International Education Week
- ESF Continues to Lead in World of Green Colleges
- ESF’s Barron Wins 2018 USCAA Golf National Championship
- ESF Celebrates Debut of Digital Storytelling Studio
- Volk to Present Travis Lecture on Shrub Willow
- The ESF Center for Community Design Research Receives Federal Research Grant
- National Geographic Live and ESF Host National Geographic Explorer/Photographer Anand Varma
- Waste not, want not
Communications & Marketing
122 Bray Hall
1 Forestry Drive
Syracuse, NY 13210