Darwin Celebrations Include Poster and Book Displays
Campus invited to book-plate giveaway Feb. 11 at Moon Library
ESF will highlight research in evolutionary biology to celebrate the legacy of biological evolution's co-discoverers: Alfred Russel Wallace and Charles Darwin.
Students taking Evolution (EFB 311) have created mini-posters highlighting some of the most compelling research in evolutionary biology from 2014 and 2015. The posters will be on display in Moon Library on the ESF campus until late February.
Between 12:45 and 1: 40 p.m. (known on campus as the weekly "college hour") Wednesday, Feb. 11 - the day before Darwin's birthday, and a month and three days after Wallace's - Moon Library will give away a permanent book plate in honor of the occasion. The library will also feature a display of books by and about Darwin and Wallace. Members of the campus community are invited to stop by to admire the posters and enjoy a snack.
Around the world, people celebrate Darwin Day to honor Darwin's contributions to our understanding of the life sciences. This year, ESF added the lesser-known, but notably intrepid, naturalist Wallace to the billing in recognition of the fact that a pivotal moment in our modern understanding of biology was a joint presentation by Darwin and Wallace of their 1858 paper: "On the Tendency of Species to form Varieties; and on the Perpetuation of Varieties and Species by Natural Means of Selection."
Recent ESF News
- Scientists Link Decline of Baltic Cod to Hypoxia – and Climate Change
- ESF Graduates Advised: Turn Your Passion into Purpose
- ESF Student Participates in SEA Semester
- ESF Celebrates December Commencement
- Princeton Review Ranks ESF No. 2 among Nation's 'Green Colleges'
- Senior Truong Ho Receives Statewide EOP Award
- Researchers Discover Process for Slow Removal of Old Carbon from Oceans
- ESF, Upstate Partner on Accelerated Scholars Program
- 50% Decline in Mallard Population Sparks Research Efforts
- New Center of Excellence in Healthy Water Solutions Showcased at ESF
- Dr. Lee Newman Honored with Stephen D. Ebbs Distinguished Service Award
- ESF Leads International Team in Hypoxia Research
- ESF to Host Travel Unity Summit, Explore “Cultivating Welcoming Communities
- ESF Joins 19 New York Colleges and Universities to Purchase Large-Scale Aggregated Renewable Energy
- ESF Alum Named 2019 AASHE Sustainability Award Winner
Communications & Marketing
122 Bray Hall
1 Forestry Drive
Syracuse, NY 13210