Dr. Alex Weir Honored for Excellence in Teaching
Mycological Society of America’s (MSA) William H. Weston Jr. Award
SYRACUSE - Dr. Alexander Weir, ESF associate professor, has been honored by a professional organization for excellence in teaching.
Weir received the Mycological Society of America's (MSA) William H. Weston Jr. Award for Excellence in Teaching. The award is given annually to an outstanding teacher of mycology at the undergraduate and/or graduate levels.
In one of the many supporting nomination letters, a former student wrote, "(Weir) is not only passionate about mycology, he is dedicated to his students, he genuinely loves to teach, and he creates a positively infectious atmosphere toward the study of fungi and their relationships to ecosystem functioning."
The William H. Weston Jr. Award for Excellence in Teaching is named for the inspirational teacher at Harvard University and first president of the MSA.
Another ESF faculty member, Dr. Chun Wang, won the award in 1990, making ESF one of only two colleges to have had more than one faculty member so recognized in the past 20 years.
Recent ESF News
- ESF’s Barron Wins 2018 USCAA Golf National Championship
- ESF Celebrates Debut of Digital Storytelling Studio
- Volk to Present Travis Lecture on Shrub Willow
- ESF Center for CCDR Receives Federal Research Grant
- National Geographic Live and ESF Host National Geographic Explorer/Photographer Anand Varma
- Waste not, want not
- Landscape Architecture Students Celebrate PARK(ing) Day
- Scientists Turn to UN to Sound Alarm about World’s Oceans
- Mighty Oaks Welcome New Men's Basketball Coach
- Community Stewards to Receive ESF’s Feinstone Award
- ESF Launches ‘Discovery Challenge’
- Love it, don’t list it
- ESF Ranks among ‘Best Value’ Schools
- ESF’s Miniature Northern Hardwood Forest Gets a Lift
- CCLP Honored for Landscape Preservation Project in California
Communications & Marketing
122 Bray Hall
1 Forestry Drive
Syracuse, NY 13210