ESF Hosts Inclusive Excellence Welcome Reception Event welcomes underrepresented students and their allies 8/24/2018SHARE:
ESF hosted the first campus-wide Inclusive Excellence Welcome Reception for underrepresented students and their allies Aug. 23.
The reception gave new and returning students, as well as faculty, staff and administrators, an opportunity to connect across academic disciplines and social identities. The welcome reception comes after the first Inclusive Excellence Graduation Celebration in May.
"ESF has divisions and roles that directly support the work of Inclusion, Diversity, and Equity. These include, but are not limited to, Counseling Services, which conducts Safe Zone Training; Student Diversity and Inclusion Initiatives; the coordinator of student conduct; the Title IX working group, and others. Each collaborate with students, teaching sites and our industry peers to promote diversity, equity and inclusion," said Dr. Malika Carter, chief diversity officer.
Eileen Baldassare, director of the Collegiate Science and Technology Entry Program (CSTEP), encouraged students to take advantage of the numerous opportunities and resources offered to help students excel in studies and engage in social activities dedicated to diversity. Thomas Carter, assistant director of international education, also thanked staff, faculty and administrators for taking the time to help students develop both in intellectual and social communities.
The event concluded by emphasizing the important partnership that exists between those representing the varied offices, the students, and their individual programs and activities.
Partners included the Office of Inclusion, Diversity and Equity; Ofice of International Education; CSTEP; EOP; Office of Student Diversity and Inclusion; and the Division of Student Affairs.
Following remarks, faculty and staff were on hand to encourage the students to build a network of colleagues and mentors across campus and identity.
Recent ESF News
- Mighty Oaks Soccer Teams End Season at USCAA Championships
- Women's Cross Country Team Wins National Championship
- ESF Team Reports Discovery of Unusual Molecule
- ESF Alumna Leads Cannabis Team for Law Firm
- 38 ESF Students to Attend Zero Waste Conference
- ESF Represented at Forestry and Wood Products Summit
- Mighty Oaks Sweep HVIAC Tournament
- ESF Kicks Off International Education Week
- ESF Continues to Lead in World of Green Colleges
- ESF’s Barron Wins 2018 USCAA Golf National Championship
- ESF Celebrates Debut of Digital Storytelling Studio
- Volk to Present Travis Lecture on Shrub Willow
- The ESF Center for Community Design Research Receives Federal Research Grant
- National Geographic Live and ESF Host National Geographic Explorer/Photographer Anand Varma
- Waste not, want not
Communications & Marketing
122 Bray Hall
1 Forestry Drive
Syracuse, NY 13210