National Geographic Live and ESF Host National Geographic Explorer/Photographer Anand Varma Event is free and open to the public10/8/2018SHARE:
National Geographic Live, National Geographic's touring speaker series, and the College of Environmental Science and Forestry (ESF) will host "Beauty and the Bizarre" with Anand Varma, a National Geographic Emerging Explorer and science photographer, on the ESF campus Tuesday, Oct. 9.
The event is sponsored by the ESF Randolph G. Pack Institute, the Department of Environmental Studies and the Digital Storytelling Studio. It will take place at 7 p.m. in the Gateway Center.
Varma is a science photographer who works to tell the story behind the science of everything, from primate behavior and hummingbird biomechanics to amphibian disease and forest ecology.
Varma started photographing natural history subjects while studying integrative biology at UC Berkeley and spent several years assisting other photographers before receiving a National Geographic Young Explorer grant to document the wetlands of Patagonia. He has since become a regular contributor to National Geographic as well as a National Geographic Emerging Explorer.
National Geographic Live is the live events division of National Geographic. With a broad roster of talent including renowned photographers, scientists, authors, filmmakers and adventurers,National Geographic Live's critically acclaimed programs have connected with audiences worldwide for over a century. Currently,National Geographic Live events are held in a variety of cities around the world, including, Seattle, Tampa, Los Angeles, and Calgary. In each of these cities, speakers share behind-the-scenes stories from the front lines of exploration onstage alongside stunning imagery and gripping footage.
Recent ESF News
- Studies: Transgenic American Chestnut Trees Show No Ill Effects on Seeds, Fungi or Larval Frogs
- Advice to Graduates: Live with Heart, Kindness, Passion
- ESF to Celebrate December Commencement
- ESF Students Ride to Ribbons in Horse Show
- Kimmerer Portrait Featured in 'Americans Who Tell the Truth' Display
- ‘Old-Fashioned Fieldwork’ Puts New Frog Species on the Map
- ESF Participates in Remembrance for Lost Species
- Mighty Oaks Soccer Teams End Season at USCAA Championships
- Women's Cross Country Team Wins National Championship
- ESF Team Reports Discovery of Unusual Molecule
- ESF Alumna Leads Cannabis Team for Law Firm
- 38 ESF Students to Attend Zero Waste Conference
- ESF Represented at Forestry and Wood Products Summit
- Mighty Oaks Sweep HVIAC Tournament
- ESF Kicks Off International Education Week
Communications & Marketing
122 Bray Hall
1 Forestry Drive
Syracuse, NY 13210