Alexander B. ArtyukhinAssistant Professor
219 Jahn Lab
1 Forestry Drive
Syracuse, NY 13210
The first animal genome was sequenced in 1998 and a human genome was published only 3 years later in Nature and Science. Ever since, whole genome sequencing and editing tools have been routinely used in molecular biology labs. In contrast to large molecules (DNA and proteins), small molecules of life (metabolites) have mostly remained elusive. Metabolic pathway diagrams in biochemistry textbooks, which hardly ever changed since 1960s, make an impression that we have catalogued all small molecules that make up a cell long time ago. This impression could not be further from reality. Despite a lot of effort, even in well studied organisms, including mice and humans, the vast majority of metabolites (~90%) remain unknown and uncharacterized. We have only a vague idea about their existence, let alone their structures and function. To cover that gap, we use untargeted high-resolution LC-MS and GC-MS analysis to find and characterize new small molecules in living systems. Our goal is to elucidate their structures (using MS/MS and NMR) and figure out how they are made and what they do in the organism, i.e. their biosynthesis and functions. We are particularly interested in sex-specific molecules in worms, mice, humans, and now, perhaps, beetles.
- A. H. Ludewig, A. B. Artyukhin, E. Z. Aprison, P. R. Rodrigues, D. C. Pulido, O. Panda, R. Burkhardt, Y. K. Zhang, P. Gudibanda, I. Ruvinsky, F. C. Schroeder, (2019). An excreted small-molecule signal promotes C. elegans reproductive development and aging. Nature Chem.Biol., 15, 838-845.
- S. Zhou, K. Kremling, N. Bandillo, A. Richter, Y. Zhang, K. Ahern, A. Artyukhin, J. Hui, F. Schroeder, E. Buckler, G. Jander, (2019). Metabolome-scale genome-wide association studies reveal chemical diversity and genetic control of maize specialized metabolites. Plant Cell, 31, 937-955.
- A. B. Artyukhin, Y. K. Zhang, A. E. Akagi, O. Panda, P. W. Sternberg, F. C. Schroeder, (2018). Metabolomic “dark matter” dependent on peroxisomal ß-oxidation in Caenorhabditis elegans. J.Am.Chem.Soc., 140, 2841-2852.
- J. M. Falcke, N. Bose, A. B. Artyukhin, C. Roedelsperger, G. V. Markov, J. J. Yim, D. Grimm, M. Claassen, O. Panda, J. A. Baccile, Y. K. Zhang, H. H. Le, D. Jolic, F. C. Schroeder, R. J. Sommer, (2018). Linking genomic and metabolomics natural variation uncovers nematode pheromone biosynthesis. Cell Chem.Biol., 25, 787-796.
- O. Panda, A. E. Akagi, A. B. Artyukhin, J. C. Judkins, H. H. Le, P. Mahanti, S. M. Cohen, P. W. Sternberg, F. C. Schroeder, (2017). Biosynthesis of modular ascarosides in C. elegans. Angew.Chem., 129, 4807-4811.
- G. V. Markov, J. M. Meyer, O. Panda, A. B. Artyukhin, M. Claassen, H. Witte, F. C. Schroeder, R. J. Sommer, (2016). Functional conservation and divergence of daf-22 paralogs in Pristionchus pacificus dauer development. Mol.Biol.Evol., 33, 2506-2514.
- O. Ocal, V. Pashkov, R. K. Kollipara, Y. Zolghadri, V. H. Cruz, M. A. Hale, B. R. Heath, A. B. Artyukhin, A. L. Christie, P. Tsoulfas, J. B. Lorens, G. H. Swift, R. A. Brekken, T. M. Wilkie, (2015). A rapid in vivo screen for pancreatic ductal adenocarcinoma therapeutics. Disease Models & Mech., 8, 1201-1211.
- A. B. Artyukhin, J. J. Yim, M. C. Cheong, L. Avery, (2015). Starvation-induced collective behavior in C. elegans. Sci.Rep., 5, 10647.
- M. C. Cheong, A. B. Artyukhin, Y.-J. You, L. Avery, (2015). An opioid-like system regulating feeding behavior in C. elegans. eLIFE, 4, e06683.
- A. B. Artyukhin, F. C. Schroeder, L. Avery, (2013). Density dependence in Caenorhabditis larval starvation. Sci.Rep., 3, 2777.
- A. B. Artyukhin, J. J. Yim, J. Srinivasan, Y. Izrayelit, N. Bose, S. H. von Reuss, Y. Jo, J. M. Jordan, L. R. Baugh, M. Cheong, P. W. Sternberg, L. Avery, F. C. Schroeder, (2013). Succinylated octopamine ascarosides and new pathway of biogenic amine metabolism in Caenorhabditis elegans. J.Biol.Chem., 288, 18778-18783.
- Y. Wang, C. J. Ku, E. R. Zhang, A. B. Artyukhin, O. D. Weiner, L. F. Wu, S. J. Altschuler, (2013). Identifying network motifs that buffer front-to-back signaling in polarized neutrophils. Cell Rep., 3, 1607-1616.
- A. B. Artyukhin and Y. Woo, (2012). DNA extraction method with improved efficiency and specificity using DNA methyltransferase and ‘‘click’’ chemistry. Anal.Biochem., 425, 169-174.
- A. Noy, A. B. Artyukhin, S. C. Huang, J. A. Martinez, N. Misra, (2011). Functional integration of membrane proteins with nanotube and nanowire transistor devices. Methods Mol.Biol. 751, 533-552.
- S. C. J. Huang, A. B. Artyukhin, N. Misra, J. A. Martinez, P. A. Stroeve, C. P. Grigoropoulos, J. W. W. Ju, A. Noy, (2010). Carbon nanotube transistor controlled by a biological ion pump gate. NanoLett., 10, 1812-1816.
- A. B. Artyukhin, L. F. Wu, S. J. Altschuler, (2009). Only two ways to achieve perfection. Cell, 138, 619-621.
- A. Noy, A. B. Artyukhin, N. Misra, (2009). Bionanoelectronics with 1D materials. Materials Today, 12, 22-31.
- M. Stadermann, S. P. Sherlock, J. B. In, F. Fornasiero, H. G. Park, A. B. Artyukhin, Y. Wang, J. J. De Yoreo, C. P. Grigoropoulos, O. Bakajin, A. A. Chernov, A. Noy, (2009). Mechanism and kinetics of growth termination in controlled chemical vapor deposition growth of multiwall carbon nanotube arrays. NanoLett., 9, 738-744.
- A. Barty, S. Marchesini, H. N. Chapman, C. Cui, M. R. Howells, D. A. Shapiro, A. M. Minor, J. C. H. Spence, U. Weierstall, J. Ilavsky, A. Noy, S. P. Hau-Riege, A. B. Artyukhin, T. Baumann, T. Willey, J. Stolken, T. van Buuren, and J. H. Kinney, (2008). Three-dimensional coherent X-ray diffraction imaging of a ceramic nanofoam: determination of structural deformation mechanisms. Phys.Rev.Lett., 101, 055501.
- R. W. Friddle, P. Podsiadlo, A. B. Artyukhin, A. Noy, (2008). Near-equilibrium chemical force microscopy. J.Phys.Chem.C, 112, 4986-4990.
- D. J. Sirbuly, N. O. Fischer, S. C. Huang, A. B. Artyukhin, J. B. Tok, O. Bakajin, A. Noy, (2008). Biofunctional subwavelength optical waveguides for biodetection. ACS Nano, 2, 255-262.
- A. B. Artyukhin, M. Stadermann, P.Stroeve, O. Bakajin, A. Noy, (2008). Fabrication and characterization of suspended carbon nanotube devices in liquid. Int. J. Nanotechnol., 5, 488-496.
- R. W. Friddle, M. C. LeMieux, G. Cicero, A. B. Artyukhin, V. V. Tsukruk, J. C. Grossman, G. Galli, A. Noy, (2007). Single functional group interactions with sidewalls of individual carbon nanotubes. Nature Nanotechnol., 2, 692-697.
- S.-C. J. Huang, A. B. Artyukhin, J. A. Martinez, D. J. Sirbuly, Y. Wang, J. W. Ju, P. Stroeve, A. Noy, (2007). Formation, stability, and mobility of one-dimensional lipid bilayers on polysilicon nanowires. NanoLett., 7, 3355-3359.
- A. B. Artyukhin, M. Stadermann, R. W. Friddle, P.Stroeve, O. Bakajin, A. Noy, (2006). Controlled electrostatic gating of carbon nanotube FET devices. NanoLett., 6, 2080-2085.
- J. K. Holt, H. G. Park, Y. Wang, M. Stadermann, A. B. Artyukhin, C. P. Grigoropoulos, A. Noy, O. Bakajin, (2006). Fast mass transport through sub-2nm carbon nanotubes. Science, 312, 1034-1037.
- S.-C. J. Huang, A. B. Artyukhin, Y. Wang, J.-W. Ju, P. Stroeve, A. Noy, (2005). Persistence length control of the polyelectrolyte layer-by-layer self-assembly on carbon nanotubes. J.Am.Chem.Soc., 127, 14176-14177.
- A. B. Artyukhin, A. Shestakov, J. Harper, O. Bakajin, P. Stroeve, A. Noy, (2005). Functional one-dimensional lipid bilayers on carbon nanotube templates. J.Am.Chem.Soc., 127, 7538-7542.
- A. B. Artyukhin, O. Bakajin, P. Stroeve, A. Noy, (2004). Layer-by-layer electrostatic self-assembly of polyelectrolyte nanoshells on individual carbon nanotube templates. Langmuir, 20, 1442-1448.
- A. B. Artyukhin and P. Stroeve, (2003). Effects of corrosive chemicals on solid-supported lipid bilayers as measured by surface plasmon resonance. Ind. Eng. Chem. Res., 42, 2156-2162.
- A. B. Artyukhin, K. J. Burnham, A. A. Levchenko, R. V. Talroze, P. Stroeve, (2003). Polyelectrolyte adsorption onto a surface-confined surfactant, Langmuir, 19, 2243-2248.
- V. L. Ivanov, A. B. Artyukhin, S. Yu. Lyashkevich, (1999). The photosubstitution of halogen atoms in halosubstituted xanthene dyes in aqueous solutions of sodium sulfite. Vest.Mosk.Un-ta, Ser.2, Chim., 40, 198. (Rus).
- A. B. Artyukhin, V. L. Ivanov, (1999). The effect of salts on the rate constants for quenching of luminescence of tris(2,2'-bipyridyl)ruthenium(II) complexes and on dissociation constants of radical-ion pairs. Chim.Phis., 1998, 17, 33. (Rus); Chem.Phys.Rep., 17, 2249. (Engl. Transl.)
- V. L. Ivanov, A. B. Artyukhin, (1998). Photoinitiation mechanism of the tris(2,2'-bipyridyl)ruthenium(II)-sensitized chain reaction of radical ion substitution of a sulfo group for bromine in 1-bromo-2-hydroxynaphthalene. Chim.Vys.Energ., 32, 383. (Rus); High Energy Chem., 32, 333. (Engl.Transl.)
- A. B. Artyukhin, A. V. Ivanov, V. L. Ivanov, (1994). Photosensitized chain reaction of substitution of chlorine by sulpho group in 4-chloro-1-hydroxynaphthalene. Vest.Mosk.Un-ta, Ser.2, Chim., 35, 234. (Rus).