Susan L. Senecah
106 Marshall Hall
1 Forestry Drive
Syracuse, NY 13210
Recipient, ESF President's Award for Excellence in Public Service, 1999, 2005
- Affiliate Faculty, Collaborative Governance Initiative, Program for the Advancement of Research on Conflict and Collaboration, Syracuse University
- Ph.D., Communication Studies, University of Minnesota, 1992
- M.A., Speech Communication, University of Minnesota, 1987
- B.S., Secondary Teaching (English, Speech, Outdoor Recreation), Bemidji State University, Minnesota, 1972
- Communication aspects of public participation in the formation of environmental public policy/decisions, especially the origins, dynamics, persuasive strategies, and tactics of environmental campaigns
- Legislative process, environmental public policy
- Conflict and alternative dispute resolution, consensus building processes
- Grassroots leadership
- Social construction of nature
- The history, evolution, philosophies, organizations, and current of U.S. and global environmental movements
- Senecah, S. 2007. "Impetus, Mission, and Future of the Environmental Communication Commission/ Division: Are We Still on Track? Were We Ever?" Environmental Communication: A Journal of Nature and Culture 1(1):5-20.
- Walker, G., S. Senecah, and S. Daniels. 2006. "From the Forest to the River: Citizens' Views of Stakeholder Engagement," Human Ecology Review 13(2):193-202. [PDF]
- Senecah, S., ed. 2005. The Environmental Communication Yearbook, Vol. II. Lawrence Erlbaum Associates.
- Senecah, S., ed. 2004. The Environmental Communication Yearbook, Vol. I. Lawrence Erlbaum Associates.
- Senecah, S. 2004. "The Trinity of Voice: The Role of Practical Theory in Planning and Evaluating the Effectiveness of Environmental Participatory Processes." Pp. 13-33 in Communication and Public Participation in Environmental Decision Making, eds. Stephen P. Depoe, John W. Delicath, and Marie-France Aepli Elsenbeer. Albany: State University of New York Press. [PDF]
- Senecah, S., ed. 2004. Environmental Dispute Resolution for the 21st Century. Sector on Environmental Public Policy, Association of Conflict Resolution.
- Senecah, S., co-editor. 2003. The MacMillan Encyclopedia on Pollution. 3 vols. The Gale Group.
- Cantrill, J., and S. Senecah. 2001. "Using the 'Sense of Self-in-Place' Construct in the Context of Environmental Policy-Making and Landscape Planning," Environmental Science and Policy 4(Fall):185-203. [PDF]
- Senecah, S. 2000. "Current Issues in the Field of Environmental Mediation," Mediation Quarterly 17(4):391-408.
- Senecah, S. 1996. "Forever Wild or Forever in Battle: Metaphors of Empowerment in the Continuing Controversy over the Adirondacks." Pp. 95-118 in Earthtalk: Communication Empowerment for Environmental Action, eds. Star A. Muir and Thomas L. Veenendall. Westport, CT: Praeger. [PDF]
- CMN 493/EST 696, Environmental Communication Workshop (Spring)
- EST 361/696, History of the American Environmental Movement (Fall)
- EST 605, Qualitative Research Methods (Spring, even years)
- EST 608, Environmental Advocacy Campaigns and Conflict Reslolution (Fall)
- EST 609, Collaborative Governance Processes for Environmental and Natural Resource Management (Spring, odd years)
- National Communication Association, Environmental Communication Section
- Association for Conflict Resolution
- International Association for Public Participation
- Society of Environmental Journalists
- North American Association for Environmental Education
- New York Ocean and Great Lakes Ecosystem Conservation Council, Stakeholder Involvement Coordinator
- New York Sea Level Rise Task Force, Stakeholder Advisory Group, Member