Huntington Wildlife Forest
ESF's Newcomb Campus is situated in the magnificent Huntington Wildlife Forest. In 1932, the 15,000 acre (6,000 ha) Huntington Wildlife Forest (HWF) (latitude 44E 00" N, longitude 74E 13"W) was donated by Archer and Anna Huntington for the specific use of SUNY-ESF. Located mostly in the Town of Newcomb, western Essex County, it lies near the geographic center of the Adirondack Park. The purpose of this gift was to establish a field station "for investigation, experiment and research in relation to the habits, life histories, methods of propagation and management of fish, birds, game, food and fur-bearing animals and as a forest of wildlife" (Johnson and Dence 1937).