ESF Student Health Insurance
As of 07/21/20, the link to waive out of the ESF Student Health Insurance plan is NOT currently live on the ESF Student Portal due to the transition to a new student information system. When it goes live, this will be announced here, via email, and on ESF's social media pages. We apologize for the inconvenience.
All full-time ESF students (undergraduate and graduate) are required to have health insurance coverage.
This is a requirement at most U.S. colleges and universities. It ensures that students are able to access health care services when needed, and that our students have access to an affordable, cost-effective private insurance plan with benefits that have been carefully reviewed and approved by the College.
- Full-time ESF students who are not covered by a family or individual health insurance policy are required to purchase coverage through the ESF Student Health Plan through our insurance broker. Part-time students are eligible to purchase this plan if interested.
- Students who are covered under an existing family or individual health insurance plan may waive the costs associated with the annual automatic enrollment in the required ESF plan by providing their current health insurance policy information prior to the waiver deadline (see below).
- Be sure to check with your health insurance carrier to verify you are covered by your plan in and around Syracuse for your hospital and medical needs. Because health insurance plans vary so much, it is the student’s responsibility to determine if his/her health insurance is accepted by Central New York health care providers and, in particular, Crouse Medical Practice (CMP).
The costs for the ESF Student Health Plan will be automatically added to student bills each year over the summer.
All students who have other coverage will need to waive out of the ESF Student Health Plan each year to have the costs removed from their student bill. Failure to do this by the waiver deadline (September 30 for Fall admits and February 15 for Spring admits) will result in students being responsible for the full cost of the plan.
International Students Health Insurance
All international students are required to have international student health insurance. This plan differs from the domestic ESF student health insurance plan and thus, international students do not need to purchase the domestic ESF student health insurance plan nor do they need to waive out of that plan. Instead, all international students must be enrolled in one of the following:
- ESF International Health Insurance Plan – All international students are automatically enrolled in this plan.
- GA/RA/TA Insurance and ESF Medical Evacuation and Repatriation Insurance – If you are a Graduate Assistant, Research Assistant, or Teaching Assistant, and are granted insurance through your placement, you may choose to opt out of the ESF International Health Insurance Plan. To do so, you must contact the Cashier’s Office and submit a copy of your current health insurance card. Please note that you will still be required and auto-enrolled in the supplemental ESF Medical Evacuation and Repatriation Insurance.
NOTE: Failure to opt out of the ESF International Health Insurance Plan will result in you being automatically enrolled in the plan and charged for the annual cost.
Note on Health Insurance
Health insurance in the United States can be a very complicated topic. As you begin to settle into ESF, don’t hesitate to ask questions or seek answers to anything that is unknown to you. For any additional questions, please contact:
Crouse Medical Practice (CHP)
739 Irving Avenue, Suite 300, 315-766-1628
GeoBlue Insurance (ESF International Health Insurance)
Veteran Students Health Insurance
Many veteran students receive their health care through the VA. The VA Medical Center in Syracuse will provide you with a letter documenting your enrollment in the VA Health Care system. This documentation will allow you to waive out of the ESF Student Health plan. A copy of this letter should be provided to the Office of Student Affairs in 110 Bray Hall before the waiver deadline. Call or stop by the VA at:
800 Irving Ave.
Syracuse, NY 13210
Option 1, 4, 1
Frequently Asked Questions
What if I don’t waive out of the ESF Student Health Plan by the deadline?
Students who do not waive out of the health plan on or before the pre-identified semester deadline will be automatically enrolled in the plan and will be required to pay the full cost of the plan. Failure to pay this cost if enrolled will result in a hold being placed on your student record and may result in your classes being cancelled.
Can I cancel my enrollment in the ESF Student Health Plan after I’ve enrolled?
Once you enroll you cannot cancel your enrollment.
I am graduating in December. Can I receive a refund for the spring semester if I am enrolled in the ESF Student Health Plan?
The coverage period for the ESF Student Health Plan runs from August to August. If you are departing ESF after fall semester due to graduation, transfer, study abroad, or for some other reasons, you will remain enrolled in the plan and eligible to use it until the coverage period ends on August 14.
Can I enroll in the ESF Student Health Plan after I've already wavied out (during the same plan year)?
Yes. Contact ESF's health insurance broker, Haylor, Freyer, and Coon at 1-866-535-0456 to enroll and make your payment.
Can I enroll my spouse and/or child(ren) in the ESF Student Health Plan?
Yes. To enroll, complete the following form and return this it instructed to email@example.com.
Fall semester: September 30
Spring semester: February 15
(new students only)
- Purchase ESF Student Health Plan
- Waive College Health Insurance