ESF Student Health Insurance
All full-time ESF students (undergraduate and graduate) are required to have health insurance coverage.
This is a requirement at most U.S. colleges and universities. It ensures that students are able to access health care services when needed, and that our students have access to an affordable, cost-effective private insurance plan with benefits that have been carefully reviewed and approved by the College.
- Full-time ESF students who are not covered by a family or individual health insurance policy are required to purchase coverage through the ESF-approved student health plan through our insurance broker. Part-time students are eligible to purchase this plan if interested.
- Students who are covered under an existing family or individual health insurance plan may waive the costs associated with automatic enrollment in the required ESF plan by providing their current health insurance policy information.
- Be sure to check with your health insurance carrier to verify you are covered by your plan in and around Syracuse for your hospital and medical needs. Because health insurance plans vary so much, it is the student’s responsibility to determine if his/her health insurance is accepted by Central New York health care providers and, in particular, Crouse Medical Practice.
The costs for the student health plan will be automatically added to student bills over the summer.
All students who have other coverage will need to waive out of the College health insurance each year to have the costs removed from their student bill. Failure to do this by the deadline (September 30 for Fall admits and February 15 for Spring admits) will result in students being responsible for the full cost of the plan.
International Students Health Insurance
All international students are required to have international student health insurance. This plan differs from the domestic ESF student health insurance plan and thus, international students do not need to purchase the domestic ESF student health insurance plan nor do they need to waive out of that plan. Instead, all international students must be enrolled in one of the following:
- ESF International Health Insurance Plan – All international students are automatically enrolled in this plan.
- GA/RA/TA Insurance and ESF Medical Evacuation and Repatriation Insurance – If you are a Graduate Assistant, Research Assistant, or Teaching Assistant, and are granted insurance through your placement, you may choose to opt out of the ESF International Health Insurance Plan. To do so, you must contact the Cashier’s Office and submit a copy of your current health insurance card. Please note that you will still be required and auto-enrolled in the supplemental ESF Medical Evacuation and Repatriation Insurance.
NOTE: Failure to opt out of the ESF International Health Insurance Plan will result in you being automatically enrolled in the plan and charged for the annual cost.
Note on Health Insurance
Health insurance in the United States can be a very complicated topic. As you begin to settle into ESF, don’t hesitate to ask questions or seek answers to anything that is unknown to you. For any additional questions, please contact:
Crouse Medical Practice
739 Irving Avenue, Suite 300, 315-766-1628
GeoBlue Insurance (ESF International Health Insurance)
Frequently Asked Questions
What if I don’t waive out of the ESF approved student health insurance plan by the deadline?
Students who do not waive out of the health plan on or before the pre-identified semester deadline will be automatically enrolled in the plan and will be required to pay the full cost of the plan. Failure to pay this cost if enrolled will result in a hold being placed on your student record and may result in your classes being cancelled.
Can I cancel my enrollment in the ESF-approved student health insurance plan after I’ve enrolled?
Once you enroll you cannot cancel your enrollment.
I am graduating in December. Can I receive a refund for the spring semester if I am enrolled in the ESF-approved student health plan?
The coverage period for the ESF-approved student health plan runs from August 15 to August 14. If you are departing ESF after fall semester due to graduation, transfer, study abroad, or for some other reasons, you will remain enrolled in the plan and eligible to use it until the coverage period ends on August 14.
Can I enroll in the ESF-approved student health plan after I've already wavied out (during the same plan year)?
Yes. Contact ESF's health insurance broker, Haylor, Freyer, and Coon at 1-866-535-0456 to enroll and make your payment.
Can I enroll my spouse and/or child(ren) in the ESF-approved student health insurance plan?
Yes. The annual cost of the plan for an ESF student plus a spouse OR a child is $3,598. The cost of the plan for an ESF student, plus a spouse AND a child is $5,341. To enroll, complete the attached form and return this it instructed to email@example.com.
Fall semester: September 30
Spring semester: February 15
(new students only)
- Purchase College Health Insurance
- Waive College Health Insurance