Current J-1 Students
Welcome to the The Office of International Education (OIE)!!! We are the primary on-campus immigration resource available to the ESF international student community. We assist international students with maintaining status and adhering to U.S. immigration laws by providing advice regarding immigration regulations and various immigration–related topics such as employment and travel.
OIE provides all immigration document services including initial DS-2019's, SEVIS transfer DS-2019's and document updates (e.g., DS-2019 extensions) for active students. We also host a multitude of events for international students throughout the year!
International Student Programs and Activities
Helpful Campus Services
- University Police - 315-470-6666
- Health and Counseling Services - 315-470-6660
- Graduate School - 315-470-6978
- Career Services - 315-470-6900
- Registrar - 315-470-6655
- Moon Library - 315-470-6711
- Writing Center - 315-470-6756
- Student Support - 315-470-6660
Most Common Questions
- What is J-1 Status?
Immigration information for our international community and how to maintain valid J-1 status while at and after ESF.
- How do I Get a:
- I Need to Extend My DS-2019...
Not going to graduate based upon your program date on your I-20? Learn how to apply for an I-20 extension and what forms you will need to submit.
- What is Academic Training (AT)?
Academic Training (AT) is employment, training, or experience related to a student's major field of study as indicated on their DS-2019... learn how to apply!
- Can I Bring a Dependent (J-2)?
Yes! There is a process, and it can take some time, but yes you can! Click this link to find out what is required and how you can apply for an J-2 visa for either a spouse or a child.
The Office of International Education reserves the right to a one-week time frame for reviewing and processing of any submitted requests. Student should anticipate OIE to take the full week and should expect to submit documents early in order to avoid potential complications.
Important J-1 Links
- Maintaining J-1 Status
- Full-Time Enrollment Requirement
- Mandatory Health Insurance Requirement
- Updating Your Address & SEVIS Information
- 2 Year Home Residency Requirement & Waivers
- Academic Training
- I-9 Employment Eligibility Verification Process
- Social Security Numbers (SSN)
- Taxes (Federal & State Income)
- Extension of DS-2019 Program End Date
- Requesting a New DS-2019 / DS-2019 Update
- Study Abroad or Research Outside the U.S.
- Taking Courses at Another School
- Taking Courses Online
- Probation and Suspension
- Leave of Absence or Withdrawal from ESF
- Transfer-Out of SEVIS Record
- Change of Status
- Bringing a J-2 Dependent
- J-2 Employment
- Inviting a Relative/ Friend
- Legal Rights
- Cultural Adjustment
- Living in Syracuse, NY
- Housing Information
- Academics at ESF
- Student Affairs at ESF