Papers Addressing Uncertainty in Streams, Rivers, and Lakes
Please send suggestions for other resources (published papers and presentations) to firstname.lastname@example.org
- Click here for list of papers searchable by sources of uncertainty addressed and methods to quantify them. *****WORK IN PROGRESS*****
- Appling, A.P., M.C. Leon, and W.H. McDowell. 2015. Reducing bias and quantifying uncertainty in watershed flux estimates: the R package loadflex. Ecosphere.
- Aulenbach, B.T., D.A. Burns, J.B. Shanley, R.D. Yanai, K. Bae, A.D. Wild, Y. Yang, and D. Li. 2016. Approaches to stream solute load estimation for solutes with varying dynamics from five diverse small watersheds. 2016. Ecosphere.
- Aulenbach and Hooper. 2006. The composite method: an improved method for stream-water solute load estimation. In Hydrological Processes.
- Benke et al. 2008. Parameter uncertainty, sensitivity analysis and prediction error in a water-balance hydrological model. Mathematical and Computer Modelling 47(11-12): 1134-1149 Abstract
- Buso et al. 2000. Chemistry of Precipitation, Streamwater, and Lakewater from the Hubbard Brook Ecosystem Study: A Record of Sampling Protocols and Analytical Procedures. USDA FS General Technical Report.
- Campbell, J.L., R.D. Yanai, M.B. Green, G.E. Likens, C.R. See, A.S. Bailey, D.C. Buso, and D. Yang. 2016. Uncertainty in the net hydrologic flux of calcium in a paired-watershed harvesting study. Ecosphere.
- Hirsch. 1982. A Comparison of Four Streamflow Record Extension Technique. In Water Resources Research.
- Hornbeck. 1965. Accuracy in streamflow measurements on the Fernow Experimental Forest. A USDA FS Research Note.
- Levine, C.R., R.D. Yanai, G.G. Lampman, D.A. Burns, C.T. Driscoll, G.B. Lawrence, J.A. Lynch, and N. Schoch. 2014. Evaluating the efficiency of environmental monitoring programs. Ecological Indicators. 39: 94 – 101. DOI: 10.1016/j.ecolind.2013.12.010 HTML| PDF
- Lewis, J. 2006. Fixed and mixed-effects models for multi-watershed experiments. In: Proceedings, 3rd Federal Interagency Hydrologic Modeling Conference, Apr 2-6, 2006, Reno NV.
- Lyon, S.W., M. Nathanson, A. Spans, T. Grabs, H. Laudon, J. Temnerud, K.H. Bishop, and J. Seibert. 2012. Specific discharge variability in a boreal landscape. Water Resources Research 48. PDF
- Oda et al. 2011. Importance of frequent storm flow data for evaluating changes in stream water chemistry following clear-cutting in Japanese headwater catchments. In Forest Ecology and Management.
- Ross, D.S., et al. 2015. Inter-Laboratory Variation in the Chemical Analysis of Acidic Forest Soil Reference Samples from Eastern North America. Ecosphere.
- Shirmohammadi, A., I. Chaubey, R. D. Harmel, D. D. Bosch, R. Muñoz-Carpena, C. Dharmasri, A. Sexton, M. Arabi, M. L. Wolfe, J. Frankenberger, C. Graff, T. M. Sohrabi. 2006. Uncertainty in TMDL (Total Maximum Daily Load) Models. In Transactions of the ASABE
- Webb et al. 1997. Load estimation methodologies for British rivers and their relevance to the LOIS RACS(R) programme. In Science of The Total Environment.
- Yanai, R.D., N. Tokuchi, J.L. Campbell, M.B. Green, E. Matsuzaki, S.N. Laseter, C.L. Brown, A.S. Bailey, P. Lyons, C.R. Levine, D.C. Buso, G.E. Likens, J. Knoepp, K. Fukushima. Sources of uncertainty in estimating stream solute export from headwater catchments at three sites. Hydrological Processes. in press . DOI: 10.1002/hyp.10265 Abstract | HTML | PDF