December Commencement December 7, 2018
December Commencement is a mid-year celebration to formally recognize students completing degrees in December and those unable to attend the May commencement. December Commencement will be held in Syracuse University's Hendricks Chapel on Friday, December 7 at 2:00 pm. All faculty, staff, students, family members, and friends are invited to join the festivities.
Items Requiring Action
- Confirm Degree Requirements Be sure to confirm with the Registrar's Office that all requirements have been met for your degree.
- Complete Required Graduation Forms
- Undergraduate students complete the Undergraduate Application for Graduation and return it to the Registrar’s Office by November 16 or your name will not be in the commencement program.
- Graduate Students complete all graduate degree requirements and confirm with the Office of Instruction and Graduate Studies.
- Order and Pick Up Cap and Gown: All students who participate in Commencement are required to wear a cap and gown. Go to the SU Bookstore in Schine (315-443-9900) to be measured no later than FRIDAY, OCTOBER 26.
Pick up regalia at the SU Bookstore M-F, December 3-7.
- Undergraduates: no charge for cap and gown.
- Master’s candidates must purchase the master’s recycled keeper cap and gown for $39.99 and hood for $29.99.
- Doctoral candidates must rent a cap and gown for $46.95. Doctoral candidates who have completed all requirements for the degree will receive a free hood as a gift at the Higher Degree Ceremony. Rented graduate regalia must be returned directly to the SU Bookstore following Commencement.
December Commencement Weekend Schedule
Commencement Rehearsal Wednesday, December 5, 3pm, Gateway Center
This will be a quick preview of what will happen on the 7th! Immediately following the rehearsal, the ESF Alumni Association will host a Toast and all graduating students will receive a commemorative glass in the Gateway Center.
Commencement Ceremony Friday, December 7, Hendricks Chapel
Arrive at the Chapel no later than 1:30pm to participate in the procession. Ceremonies will include the individual recognition of each degree candidate.
Reception A reception in the Gateway Center will follow Commencement. All welcome.
December Soiree Saturday, December 8, beginning 6pm, Drumlin's Country Club
This semi-formal dinner-dance is sponsored by the Undergraduate Student Association in honor of December degree candidates. Tickets are required and will be available in advance. You will receive detailed information regarding the December Soiree in your mailer in mid-October.
Questions or Concerns?
- Commencement Weekend and undergraduate questions: Contact the Division of Student Affairs.
- (315) 470-6660
- Graduate student questions: Contact the Office of Instruction and Graduate Studies
- (315) 470-6599
Open Friday, 8:30am - 4:30pm
Guest rooms are at a premium during Commencement Weekend. Arrange accommodations NOW!
If Syracuse area rooms are booked, you may be able to locate rooms in Auburn, Utica, Cortland, and other towns close to Syracuse.
Also, check the SU Commencement information on reserving space in SU residence hallsspace is limited!
There are many great restaurants in the Syracuse area and new DestinyUSA Mall.
- Syracuse Area Restaurants (Word)
Make reservations well in advance!
On-campus Parking (ESF and SU)
Guests may park in SU's Standart Lot for the afternoon's Commencement ceremony. Please refer to your Commencement mailing for more details.
If you or a member of your family will be in need of handicapped parking facilities, please make arrangements with the Division of Student Affairs at no later than Friday, November 30.