To-do Checklist for Students Enrolling in Fall Semester
Activate your SU NetID/SU email and set up your ESFiD
- These are needed to access online resources, both on and off campus, and to receive email notifications. You can start this process at the Banner Self Service portal. Once your SU NetID is activated and your ESFiD is set up, check your syr.edu email at sumail.syr.edu and your esf.edu email at email.esf.edu. Please Note: The official means of campus communication is the syr.edu email.
- ESF Emergency Contact information
- ESF Policies Acknowledgement Page
- FERPA Waiver (if desired)
Complete the following through your Banner Self-Service portal:
NOTE: If your deposit/matriculation date is past June 1, you may experience a delay in receiving the necessary credentials to complete these steps. Please be patient as we do our best to be timely in the delivery of this.
Housing Application – Due June 14
- The application collects important data, including information used for room assignments if you do not choose your own roommate. If you will be living in Centennial Hall, you will receive an email by the end of May directing you to sign into the Banner Self Service portal for a link that will allow you to complete and sign your housing contract and roommate request. You will submit your housing contract electronically.
ESF Health Insurance – Due September 30
- All full-time ESF students are required to have health insurance. The cost of the ESF student health insurance plan is $2321. And this cost is automatically added to your student bill. If you have health insurance through another source (such as your parents/guardian/spouse or employment), you can waive out of the ESF student health insurance plan. The deadline to waive out is Sept. 30, 2020. Failure to take action by the deadline will result in your being responsible for the full cost of the plan. To waive out or obtain more information, visit your Banner Self Service portal. *Please note the ESF Student Health Insurance Plan is separate from the ESF Health Fee. The ESF Health Fee is a mandatory fee that all students must pay.
Immunization History Form – Due August 15
- We are required by N.Y. state law to collect immunization records for all full-time ESF students. You will upload it into your Banner Self Service Portal as an Action Item Processing step. The email will give further instruction on how to upload your Immunization History Form or to request a medical/religious exemption.
- Students seeking disability-related accommodations and supports do so through the Center for Disability Resources at Syracuse University. Visit disabilityservices.syr.edu, click the "Students" tab and follow the directions. Phone: 315-443-4498
Housing Accommodations – Due June 5
- Requests regarding meal plan exceptions, housing assignment adjustments, service or emotional support animals, or any building augmentation that creates a significant or permanent physical adjustment will be directed to the Housing Accommodation Request process. Students will be asked to speak with a member of the Accommodation Review Committee and complete the required paperwork, including the submission of available supporting documentation. The process can be found here.
Meal Plan Selection – June 1 to August 18
- Choose your meal plan for SU Dining and/or ESF's Trailhead Café. www.esf.edu/mealplans. Please Note: SU meal plans will be billed by SU and Trailhead Café meal plans will be billed by ESF.
- If you live in Centennial Hall, you have a minimum meal plan requirement. ESF will preset your meal plan to the minimum requirement. Any applicable changes in costs will be reflected on your initial ESF bill. Further changes to Trailhead meal plans, which affect your ESF bill, can be made on Banner Self Service through September 9. After that date, only new or increased Trailhead plans can be made from Banner Self Service. All changes will be subject to the ESF Bursar's Office audit of minimum meal plan requirements in mid-September, which could result in bill adjustments.
- August 18 is your last chance for SU meal plan selections on Banner Self Service. Any desired SU meal plan not completed on Banner Self Service by Aug. 18 can be made on MySlice.syr.ed (SU's student portal) or arranged at Steele Hall during regular business hours.
- After plans have been received by SU, SU meal plans can only be changed on MySlice at MySlice.syr.edu or in person at Steele Hall. Any change to an SU meal plan on Banner Self Service after Aug. 19 will not get sent to SU. Check MySlice for further information and deadlines. All changes will be subject to the ESF Bursar's Office audit of minimum meal plan requirements in mid-September, which may result in bill adjustments.
Request a roommate – last day to request is June 28
- If you do not select a roommate using RoomSync, Centennial Hall staff will use the information gathered in the housing application to assign you a roommate.
Housing Contracts – due July 3
- You will be asked to review and accept the terms and conditions of the housing contract. The contract includes access to RoomSync, the official method for meeting other students and requesting a specific roommate.
- This is required for all first-year students and transfer students who have not fulfilled their math requirement. You will be notified via email about completing the online examination that is accessed through your Banner Self Service Portal.
- If you applied for financial aid, you will receive an email notifying you that your financial aid award is available online. Follow the link to view and print your award. Accept or decline your award online.
- You will receive an email notifying you to access and pay your ESF bill on your Banner Self Service. SU will bill you directly for any SU meal plan selection made on Banner Self Service and those charges are not reflected on your ESF bill. Instructions and due dates will be posted on Banner Self Service.
- SU bills are solely for Syracuse University meal plans and parking permits for off-campus and commuter students (if applicable). Please Note: ESF Financial Aid is not transferred or applied towards your SU bill. Students are responsible for paying for the SU bill directly with Syracuse University.
- Students must complete the online programs designed to help students make smart decisions in college around alcohol and drugs, sexual violence, and bystander intervention. An email will be sent to your syr.edu email with a registration code to the program. Please Note: failure to complete this course will affect your ability to register for Spring 2021 classes.
- Students must complete the chemistry learning module before arrival to ESF. This is required for all first-year students who will take chemistry as part of their program. The online module is self-paced, taking an average of 1-2 hours per week for up to 6 weeks. To access the module, log in to the Chemistry preparation tool and register using your @syr.edu email address and the course code sent to your syr.edu email.
- There are two places where your headshot photo must be submitted. The same photo can be used but each requires its own upload.
- First-year Centennial Hall residents will receive specific information about designated move-in times and instructions in early August.
- You will receive an email notifying you to access and pay your ESF bill on Banner Self Service. SU will bill you directly for any SU meal plan selection made on Banner Self Service and those charges are not reflected on your ESF bill. Instructions and due dates will be posted on Banner Self Service. Please Note: ESF Financial Aid is not transferred or applied towards your SU bill. Students are responsible for paying for the SU bill directly with Syracuse University.
- All new students are pre-registered for the fall semester by their academic department over the summer. Class schedules are only distributed at Orientation. You will meet with your advisor during Orientation to finalize your class and may order textbooks online after you have met with your advisor and finalized your schedule.
Math Placement Exam – due July 15
ESF bill – Mid-July
Online Education Assignment — due August
Complete the Chemistry Learning Module — due August 19
Submit a recent headshot photo for your Syracuse University (SU)/ESF Student ID card and for your ESF student record file – due August 1
Move In – August 26
SU August Billing Deadline
Immunization records – Upload to Magnus by August 15
Complete the Chemistry Learning Module — due August 19
Course Registration and Textbooks– August 20