Dream Becomes Reality for ESF Senior
Rosen Fellowship supports summer internship in Stockholm
Posted September 2016
"If you can dream it, you can do it."
That is what Ian Blochwitz learned this summer.
Blochwitz, a sustainable energy management major who will graduate in fall 2017, spent nearly three weeks in Stockholm, Sweden, where he interned at Plantagon International AB, an urban agriculture company.
The self-designed internship was made possible through the Rosen Undergraduate Fellowship, which is supported by the Florence and Robert A. Rosen Family Foundation. Blochwitz began the application process in January.
"I've been interested in this company for a long time," Blochwitz said of Plantagon. "The Rosens read what I wrote (in the fellowship application) and believed in what I wrote … they felt comfortable supporting a student with some aspirations … that made me feel justified."
Roughly seven months and a 10-hour plane ride later, Blochwitz was in Stockholm for a dream internship at Plantagon.
Plantagon is dedicated to developing solutions for large-scale food production in cities, according to the company's website. One reason the company stood out to Blochwitz is that it was founded in part by the Onondaga Nation, part of the Haudenosaunee Confederacy, south of Syracuse.
"They work together to build different sustainable enterprises," Blochwitz explained. "Specifically the greenhouse - a 16-story vertical greenhouse is something that they are designing."
The greenhouse gives the company an opportunity to grow food without competing with local farmers. This is where the idea of "agritechture" - a combination of agriculture, technology and architecture - comes into play. Agritechture involves incorporating design, and knowledge of plants and energy systems into one sustainable building, Blochwitz said.
Blochwitz was able to tour the facilities and learn about the energy systems used at Plantagon. He learned that food tastes better when grown in sunlight rather than under the glow of LEDs. He also met with several Plantagon employees who explained how the company operates.
"I was able to meet one of the founders," Blochwitz said. "I spent time with him, talking about his goals and his background."
While speaking with employees, Blochwitz found himself applying knowledge he gained from classes at ESF.
"It was very relevant; I could have a conversation with someone in the industry because of my classes," he said. "I decided to attend ESF because of how serious the programs are. The sustainable energy management major is only a few years old and ESF brought on two new professors to help teach courses. I feel like the investment ESF made into the program made it worthwhile."
During his time abroad, Blochwitz was not only immersed in a world of sustainable enterprises, but in Swedish culture as well. He said he underestimated how different the country would be from home.
"I wore a tie the first day," Blochwitz recalled. "And nobody wears a tie."
He noticed how polite everyone was and brought this up to the employees at Plantagon. They explained that it is the result of a cultural ideal known as the Law of Jante.
"It's these 10 rules … that talk about how nobody is better than anyone else, and that you can't think that you are better than anyone or that you know more than anyone," Blochwitz said. "It creates a homogeneous unit, which is really unique."
Blochwitz attributes his internship experience to his newfound comfort and confidence with being in a business setting. He hopes to carry this into the future and one day manage different energy systems.
- By Taylor Watson, SU '19
ESF Students Make their Mark
- ESF Student Participates in SEA SemesterMary Zarba conducts research aimed at protecting rare coral wilderness
- ESF Student Among Delegation Attending Committee on World Food SecurityLindsay Eberhart to travel to Rome for World Food Day ceremony
- ESF Student Designed Bridge Judged Most InnovativeStudents competed in the 2019 bridge design competition
- 2019 Commencement: 'You Are My Family,' Student Speaker SaysESF celebrates 118th class of spring graduates
- ESF Student Studies Sargasso Sea EcosystemAndrew Meashaw participates in SEA Semester
- ESF Announces Graduation Weekend ScheduleReceptions, honor recognition ceremonies mark achievements
- ESF Student Completes First Year of Leadership Training in BioeconomyDaniel De Souza Pegoretti recognized as CABLE graduate
- ESF-SU Team Scores Win in DOE Solar DecathlonStudents prevail in mixed-use/multifamily division
- Student Organizations, Leaders RecognizedSOLAR award recipients announced
- Student Honored with Chancellor’s AwardMarissa Lathrop to receive prestigious honor
- ESF Students Earn Spot in ‘Storyfest’ FinalsFive projects featured in annual environmental storytelling competition
- Fulbright Scholar Picks ESF for Study of Genetic Engineering TechniquePh.D. student researches threat to valuable European chestnut tree
- ESF Students Return to PR to Help with Continuing Relief EffortsRelief and education projects keep students busy
- ESF Student Participates in SEA Semester ProgramAquatic and fisheries science major sets sail in Lesser Antilles
- ESF to Celebrate December CommencementThree alumni to be honored as graduates of distinction
- ESF Students Ride to Ribbons in Horse ShowSU Western Equestrian Team puts ESF riders through their paces
- 38 ESF Students to Attend Zero Waste ConferenceGCI, ESSO support participation at meeting in Philadelphia
- Waste not, want notGrant Received for 3D printer filament recycling, production pilot plant
- Landscape Architecture Students Celebrate PARK(ing) DayTransformation of parking spaces calls attention to need for urban greenspace
- ESF, Ichor Therapeutics Team Up to Combat Age-related Illness ESF graduate students to assist with research
- Society of American Foresters Plays Key Role in Student’s ESF ExperienceRecent grad Alexa Denhoff encourages students to join professional society
- ESF Student Wins at COINS Grand ChallengeAward recognizes innovation in construction management
- ESF Students Return from Puerto Rico Students joined with SUNY, NYS, non-profits organizations to help rebuild Puerto Rico
- Mortarboards Fly and Students Become AlumniClass of 2018 celebrates achievements
- Chemistry Student Wins AwardJordan Pitt recognized by the American Chemical Society
- 14 ESF Students Set for Volunteer Work in Puerto RicoCollege joins SUNY, NY effort to support recovery efforts
- ESF Announces Commencement Weekend ActivitiesNumerous events celebrate students’ achievements
- Chemistry Graduate Student Wins AwardYuting Zhu honored by American Chemical Society
- Hello, Mr. President — About the Environment…ESF students pen Earth Day ‘elevator speeches’ for Donald Trump
- Two ESF Students Honored with Chancellor's AwardJet Lewis and Ben Taylor receive prestigious awards
- 3 ESF Students among Winners at SU RvD iPrize CompetitionFarm to Flame, Food for Community move on to state competition
- Smile! You’re On Canid CameraESF researcher seeks citizen scientists to help ID photos from trail cameras
- Acorns to Action Strives to Help Victims of Natural DisastersESF students focus on providing resources, knowledge to rebuild sustainably
- ESF Student Part of First-Place Team in Hult Prize CompetitionSayje Lasenberry is member of Farm to Flame Energy team
- Zachary Smith's Commencement SpeechEnvironmental studies major was chosen as student speaker
- Senior Accomplishes Goal: ‘Publish in a Journal’Environmental health major co-authors paper about discovery linked to fighting cancer
- ESF Students Participate in SEA Semester ProgramEFB majors set sail in the Atlantic Ocean
- Class of '17 Joins ESF Alumni RanksDegrees and ESF flags in hand, graduates celebrate accomplishments
- Chemistry Student Wins AwardGraduating senior Curtis Wilhelmsen recognized by environmental division of the American Chemical Society
- ESF Announces Commencement Weekend ActivitiesNumerous events celebrate students’ achievements
- ERE Major Builds Lengthy Resume at ESFTight-knit community, real-world experience made college stand out
- ESF Students Win StoryFest CompetitionTop prize is trip to Brazilian Rainforest for storytelling expedition
- Student from Nepal Finds Her Niche at ESFJyotika ‘Nicci’ Shah plans career in water quality
- ESF Education a Family Affair for Schiavone BrothersThree siblings share a major and a graduation date
- ESF Nordic Skier Competes in World University GamesConducts study on perfluorocarbons between races
- Academics, Athletics, Affordability Lure Soccer Captain to ESFHeather Carl makes her mark on campus
- Daily Adventures Mark Trip to South AmericaRosen Fellowship funds experience of a lifetime
- Student from Italy Finds Motivation at ESF"Here I am constantly pushed to do more"
- Walk on the Wild SideFellowship Funds Trip to South Africa
- USA President Focuses on Building RelationshipsBen Taylor leads 'growth year' for student government
- ESF Junior Honored as 'Unsung Hero'Shewa Shwani to receive award at Dr. Martin Luther King Jr. Celebration
- ‘Jet’ Lewis Builds Busy Life as ESF SophomoreCalifornia resident says diverse ideologies made ESF stand out
- Dedication to Environment Brings Student to ESF from Mexico'There is no other place like ESF,' freshman says
- Beer Eases Final Moments for Euthanized InvertebratesGraduate student seeks humane method for ending lives of research subjects
- ERE Major Tackles Wastewater Plan in IcelandFink Fellowship Supports Summer Abroad
- 44 ESF Students Spend Summer as DEC Interns‘Phenomenal’ range of work can help launch careers
- Paper Engineering Boosts Student through Semester AbroadGraduate-level classes and travel highlight trip to Germany
- ESF Alumnus Begins Peace Corps Service Caleb Rudge to spend two years in Paraguay
- Dream Becomes Reality for ESF SeniorRosen Fellowship supports summer internship in Stockholm
- Summer on the FarmFink Fellowship sends ESF junior to work on Thousand Islands farm
- SRC Fellowship Supports Student in Battle against Mosquitoes Chemical compound could help stop spread of disease
- ESF Landscape Architecture Students Receive ASLA HonorsHonor and merit certificates presented
- ESF Student Finalist for Olmsted Scholar AwardKathryn Chesebrough recognized for academic excellence
- ESF Graduate Joins Teach for America Peter LeDuc finds passion for teaching at ESF
- Advice for Graduates: Stay United, 'Enjoy Your Wisdom'Class of 2016 celebrates at Commencement
- Two ESF Students Earn SUNY Chancellor’s AwardFoley, Zubair honored for excellence
- Closed-Loop Art: Woodburner Uses Material at HandSenior donates artwork to Student Showcase Symposium
- Honors Student Works with 'Best Thing Ever': ElephantsTravel takes Yvonne Lim to Elephant Nature Park in Thailand
- ESF Ph.D. Student Selected as Junior Fellow in Korea
- The Cheer Fun of ItESF student leads SU cheer team
- Ph.D. Student Appointed to Federal Advisory PanelYang joins National Coal Council
- ‘Great Experience’ Takes Grad Student to BulgariaMLA student spends summer monitoring primitive horse population
- ESF Senior Wins Fulbright Research AwardGabriel Smith heads to Sweden to study fungi
- ESF Grad Student Awarded Rare Book School ScholarshipProgram delves into history of hand papermaking
- ESF Senior Honored at National STEM ConferenceCSTEP student Danielle Berry wins second place for poster
- Meghan JohnstoneTraveler in Australia, Nature Conservancy Intern
- Michael AmadoriAquaponics Research
- Ryan HenrySU's biggest sports fan.
- Lauren AlteioHarvard Forest Program
- Brookhaven National Laboratory InternsCourtney Buckley, Daniel Larkin, Michael Norman and Beverly Agtuca
- Brendan-Michael Galloway Greater Research Opportunities Fellowship
- Lynne BeattyMarine resources workshop participant
- Kristen AnthonyLandscape Architecture student, and SU competitive skier
- Craig LazzarEssay Contest nets ESF Senior $10,000
- Zachary KingBiotechnology Researcher
- Daniele BakerSUNY Chancellor's Award for Student Excellence Recipient
- Greg BoydESF Senior, biodiesel expert
- Khristopher DodsonPublisher of Envi magazine
- Cara StaffordInvasive Plant Technician, Catalina Island
- Irony SadeBiotechnology Major
- April Karen BaptistePh.D. Candidate, Fulbright scholar, ESF
- Leah Dudziak & Lisa RuggeroTwo ESF Students on SU Dance Team