e s f home link - e s f college of environmental science and forestry
e s f home link - e s f college of environmental science and forestry

Transportation

Bike

ESF has a bike library program! Five bicycles are located outside of Moon Library and are available to rent for 24 hours at a time. Membership to ESF students is free and bikes are rented from Moon Library with the swipe of an ESF ID card. Visit Moon Library to complete forms and view a short (10-15 minute) safety presentation. Contact Jordan Brinkley with questions (x6841).

The City of Syracuse has a bike website including information about local events, resources, infrastructure and its Bike Plan. The Onondaga Cycling Club offers route maps and is a great resource for meetups, events and activities.

bike buy and repair flyer
(PDF)

Ride

Centro offers a network of services in the CNY area and has a Transit Hub located in downtown Syracuse. Visit their website for more information about special event routes and services, view the most up to date schedules and maps and learn about connecting services to Amtrak, Greyhound, MegaBus and Trailways. The Centro bus schedule can seem a bit confusing at first. We created the handy guides below to help you ride with ease and confidence!

centro schedule
(PDF)

bus routes
(PDF)

The Connective Corridor was born from a collaboration between Syracuse University, the City of Syracuse and Onondaga County. Its goal is to create a more robust connection between the City and the University by making it easier and more feasible for students to access downtown. The Connective Corridor Bus is a free loop bus service between the University Hill and downtown Syracuse.

Syracuse University also offers campus shuttles with pre-determined loops, on demand shuttle services that will take students to locations near campus (ex: Syracuse Hancock Airport and the Regional Transportation Center) and safety escort services (both walking and shuttle). Learn more about these services by visiting SU's campus shuttle website.

Drive

ESF students are able to access Zipcar through Syracuse University. Zipcar is the world's leading car-sharing network and lets you drive various cars on demand, by the hour or the day. Information about Zipcar locations can be found on the SU Zipcar site and details about the process and pricing structure can be found on Zipcar's webpage.

ESF has a number of EV charging stations (PDF) on campus, some available for ESF parking permit holders only and some open to the general public. ESF only stations are available by the Physical Plant, Baker Lab and Bray/Walters Hall. Stations open to the general public are located in Lot P22 (PDF). EV stations charge a fee of $.20/kwh, one of the most affordable rates in the region!

zulu-charging

Commuter Survey

The Sustainability Division issues a commuter survey every one or two years as part of its STARS reporting process. The most recent survey was conducted in February 2021 and measured commuting habits from March 2019-March 2020. This survey was sent to approximately 1,800 students and 420 faculty/staff and garnered a response rate of 16%.

The survey showed that 67% of students and 23% of faculty/staff use a more sustainable commuting option as their primary mode of transportation to and from campus (walking, cycling, van/carpooling, public transit, campus shuttle, scooter, motorcycles, zero emissions vehicle or distance learning).

Commuter Survey Deep Dive

Of those that drive, 88% drive gas, 11% drive hybrid and 1% drive all electric vehicles. Those that drive gas or hybrid vehicles most frequently get 20.1 - 25mpg, followed by 25.1 - 30mpg and 30.1 - 35mpg. Relatively large portions of faculty live more than 20 miles from campus (faculty: 33% and staff: 36%) or between 10-20 miles from campus (faculty: 18% and staff: 33%). Telecommuting will be an interesting trend to watch in the future! The majority of faculty and staff reported that they telecommute (pre-COVID) either 0 (faculty: 51% and staff: 80%) , 1 (faculty: 11% and staff: 4%) or 2 days a week (faculty: 20% and staff: 5%).



Contact

Sustainability Division


  sustainability@esf.edu
  315-470-6701