Top 10 New Species - 2008
Each year the IISE announces a list of the Top 10 New Species for the preceding calendar year. The Top 10 new species described in 2007, announced on May 23, 2008, are listed below with links to additional details about each species.
Top 10 Past Years
How were the Top 10 selected?
Chaired by Dr. Janine Caira of the University of Connecticut, an international committee of taxon experts selected the Top 10 New Species from the thousands of species fully described in calendar year 2007. Nominations were invited through the IISE web site and generated by IISE staff and committee members themselves. The Committee had complete freedom in making its choices and developing its own criteria to provide a breadth of species attributes and importance. The committee members included:
- Dr. Daphne Fautin (University of Kansas, USA);
- Dr. Mary Liz Jameson (Wichita State University, USA);
- Dr. Niels Kristensen (Zoological Museum, University of Copenhagen, Denmark);
- Dr. James Macklin (Harvard University, USA);
- Dr. John Noyes (Natural History Museum, London, UK);
- Dr. Alan Paton (International Plant Names Index, Royal Botanical Garden Kew, UK);
- Dr. Adam Slipinski (CSIRO, Australia);
- Dr. Andrew Polaszek (Natural History Museum, London, UK);
- Dr. Gideon Smith (South African National Biodiversity Institute);
- Dr. Antonio Valdecasas (Museo National Ciencias Naturales, Madrid, Spain);
- Dr. Zhi-Qiang Zhang (International Commission on Zoological Nomenclature, New Zealand);
- Dr. Janine Caira, chair (University of Connecticut, USA).