Uploading Documents with Contribute
The following tutorials will show you how to add and link documents (DOC, PDF, PPT, Excel, etc.) to your website using Contribute:
First time User?
Contact the web office:
123 Bray, email@example.com
Know and Remember
Contribute is an old, miserable app that will soon be replaced. It will...
- be slow (very slow sometimes),
- irritate you with multiple warning pop-ups (to clear, say yes, no, click the X, hit return repeatedly - doesn't matter), and,
- may display so badly that you can't make your edits (contact firstname.lastname@example.org).
Setting Up and Connecting
Once your folder access permissions are set by the web office and Contribute is installed on your computer, you need to use a connection 'wizard' to configure Contribute to access your web files:
1) Launch Contribute (quit and launch again if it is already open) — Do NOT click on an existing connection!
2) Open the wizard — Choose whichever of these two options you see/prefer:
- Use the "Create Connection" option that appears in button at the top left corner of the app window, OR
- Choose "Website Connection" in the window of Site Connections that appears when you launch the app.
NOTE — At any point, if you see...
— the "Subversion" window, SKIP IT.
— a query about 'removing admin settings,' DO IT! You will check a checkbox, click a button, then confirm with a 'yes' in a dialog box.
3) In answer to "What is the web address (URL) of your website?", use https:// , not http:// . Examples of a total address would be: https://www.esf.edu/housing/ or https://www.esf.edu/students/service/
4) In answer to "How do you connect to your web server?" choose: Secure FTP (SFTP)
5) In answer to "What is the name of your SFTP server?" type exactly: www-2.esf.edu
Your SFTP username and password are your usual esf.edu email/webmail username and password.
Contact the web office if you need any help — email@example.com.