ESF Professor Named Fulbright Scholar
Dr. Theodore A. Endreny
SYRACUSE, N.Y. Dr. Theodore A. Endreny, associate professor at the SUNY College of Environmental Science and Forestry (ESF), has been awarded a Fulbright Scholar grant to lecture and conduct research at the University of Cyprus in Nicosia, Cyprus, during the 2006 spring semester.
Endreny, a water resources engineer, will investigate the water balance of the area. Seasonal water scarcity combined with border disputes have complicated water resources management in the past 30 years. Water resources engineering theory for stormwater management can greatly benefit Cyprus water conservation and agricultural and urban efforts to stabilize and restore channel geomorphology and associated ecology by recharging aquifers and reducing evaporation, Endreny said of Syracuse.
By studying the links between water resource changes and likely on-going channel destabilization, Endreny hopes opportunities to correct degradation will not be missed.
“The Fulbright Scholarship program is very prestigious award,” said Dr. Bruce Bongarten, provost and vice president for academic affairs at ESF. “It provides an excellent opportunity for faculty to travel to another country and immerse themselves in an issue in their expertise. Ted will be able to bring back to ESF what he has learned and share it with the rest of us. It’s the next best thing to being there.”
Established in 1946 under legislation introduced by the late Senator J. William Fulbright, the program’s purpose is to build mutual understanding between the people of the United States and other countries. Recipients of Fulbright Scholar awards are selected on the basis of academic or professional achievement and because they have demonstrated extraordinary leadership potential in their fields.
- Dr. James Gibbs Named SUNY Distinguished Professor
- ESF Students Place Second in SU ‘Impact Prize’ Competition
- ESF Researcher, Ph.D. Candidate Attend First Bioeconomy Conference
- ESF Professor Receives National Forestry Award
- Nature and Health Come Together at Syracuse VA Medical Center
- Mighty Oaks Athletes Earn Honors
- USCAA National Championships Recap
- Mighty Oaks Compete in Conference Tournaments
- Community Stewards to Receive ESF’s Feinstone Award
- ESF Hosts Inaugural SUNY Leaders Sustainability Summit
- AIC’s Artist-in-Residence to Be Featured in ESF Show
- Princeton Review Again Ranks ESF No. 2 among Nation’s ‘Green Colleges’
- SUNY, W.K. Kellogg Foundation Announce Grant for Sustainable Village and Learning Community in Haiti
- ‘Moonlighting’ Focuses on E.O. Wilson’s Half-Earth Project
- ESF Golfers Take to Links in Players Championship
Office of Communications
122 Bray Hall
1 Forestry Drive
Syracuse, NY 13210