ESF Professor Named Fulbright Scholar
Dr. Theodore A. Endreny
SYRACUSE, N.Y. Dr. Theodore A. Endreny, associate professor at the SUNY College of Environmental Science and Forestry (ESF), has been awarded a Fulbright Scholar grant to lecture and conduct research at the University of Cyprus in Nicosia, Cyprus, during the 2006 spring semester.
Endreny, a water resources engineer, will investigate the water balance of the area. Seasonal water scarcity combined with border disputes have complicated water resources management in the past 30 years. Water resources engineering theory for stormwater management can greatly benefit Cyprus water conservation and agricultural and urban efforts to stabilize and restore channel geomorphology and associated ecology by recharging aquifers and reducing evaporation, Endreny said of Syracuse.
By studying the links between water resource changes and likely on-going channel destabilization, Endreny hopes opportunities to correct degradation will not be missed.
“The Fulbright Scholarship program is very prestigious award,” said Dr. Bruce Bongarten, provost and vice president for academic affairs at ESF. “It provides an excellent opportunity for faculty to travel to another country and immerse themselves in an issue in their expertise. Ted will be able to bring back to ESF what he has learned and share it with the rest of us. It’s the next best thing to being there.”
Established in 1946 under legislation introduced by the late Senator J. William Fulbright, the program’s purpose is to build mutual understanding between the people of the United States and other countries. Recipients of Fulbright Scholar awards are selected on the basis of academic or professional achievement and because they have demonstrated extraordinary leadership potential in their fields.
Recent ESF News
- ESF Stages Exhibits at New York State Fair
- NYC Students Learn Hands-on Science
- Study in ‘Nature’ Details Global Land Change
- ESF, Ichor Therapeutics Team Up to Combat Age-related Illness
- Wagner Receives College Foundation Teaching Award
- Dr. Timothy Volk Named Exemplary Researcher at ESF
- ESF Professor Appointed to International Board on Lake Ontario
- Society of American Foresters Plays Key Role in Student’s ESF Experience
- ESF Staff, Faculty Honored by SUNY Chancellor
- SUNY Board of Trustees Appoints Interim President of ESF
- ESF Student Wins at COINS Grand Challenge
- ESF Students Return from Puerto Rico
- AEC’s McNulty Named President of OBFS
- Former ESF Cross Country Coach Inducted into USCAA Hall of Fame
- ESF Welcomes Camp Fire Professor of Wildlife Conservation
Communications & Marketing
122 Bray Hall
1 Forestry Drive
Syracuse, NY 13210