Students penalized for illegal downloads & file sharing
Avoid computer quarantines and student judicial penalties!
The number of ESF and Syracuse University students whose computers have been quarantined for illegally downloading and sharing music, movies and video games has increased dramatically during the first four weeks of the Fall 2006 semester as compared to the same period last year. This increase is most likely the result of stepped-up monitoring of these activities by the music and entertainment industry, which causes an increase in the number of complaints to SU. Students feel the crunch when they cannot get online either through SU's wired network or AirOrange until they have contacted SU's Information Technology and Services (ITS).
It is illegal to download to your computer copyrighted materials (music, video, images, software) for which you have not obtained a license through purchase, rental agreement or written permission from the copyright owner. Additionally, it is illegal to distribute (share) copyrighted materials across the Internet without the written permission of the copyright owner, even if you have obtained a license for the material through purchase or rental agreement.
PLEASE NOTE: First copyright infringement offenses that are reported to SU will result in the student's computer being removed from the SU network (wired and AirOrange) until the matter is resolved. Second offenses reported to SU will result in a referral to the ESF Judicial Process and a requirement that the computer undergo a FreshStart repair at the ITS Student Computing Support Center at a cost of $34.95 (plus tax) before it can be connected to the SU network.
Legal music downloading services are available through a number of online vendors, including iTunes at http://www.apple.com/itunes, Ruckus at http://www.ruckus.com, Yahoo! Music Unlimited at http://music.yahoo.com (SU network only; not available via ESF campus network) and Napster at http://www.napster.com.
Further information about file sharing is available on the ITS website at http://its.syr.edu/security/desktop/filesharing.cfm.
Contact Information Technology and Services:
- ERE Professor Focuses Sabbatical on GIS Technology
- Dr. Jack Manno, Cindy Squillace Honored with Racial Justice Award
- Mighty Oaks Hoops Play at the Dome
- ESF Celebrates Darwin and Wallace Feb. 15
- ESF Joins SUNY Puerto Rico Task Force
- Dr. Myron Mitchell Appointed to EPA Advisory Committee
- ESF, SU Celebrate Darwin’s Birthday with ‘Collecting Evolution’
- Smile! You’re On Canid Camera
- ESF, SU Announce Partnerships with Initial Focus on Water and Environment
- ESF Enhances Institutionalization of Inclusion, Equity, and Diversity
- What Species Is Most Fit for Life? All Have an Equal Chance, Scientists Say
- The Ocean Is Losing Its Breath
- Governor Unveils Plan to Protect N.Y. Lakes from Harmful Algal Blooms
- Acorns to Action Strives to Help Victims of Natural Disasters
- Synthetic Protein Could Be Key in Battle against Disease
Office of Communications
122 Bray Hall
1 Forestry Drive
Syracuse, NY 13210