ESF Experts Receive Fernald Award
Co-authors recognized for multiyear perspective on vegetation change
A trio of ESF researchers were honored for their exemplary contributions to the botany of northeastern North America. Dr. Robin W. Kimmerer, Professor Emeritus Dudley J. Raynal and the late Dr. Edwin H. Ketchledge received the 2010 Fernald Award.
The award is presented annually by Rhodora, the journal of the New England Botanical Club. It is given to the authors of the best paper published in each volume of the Rhodora that has made use of herbarium species and/or involved fieldwork.
The paper, A 23-year Assessment of Vegetation Composition in the Adirondack Alpine Zone, New York State, was written by Kimmerer, Raynal, Ketchledge, Sean C. Robinson, and Brian T. Fitzgerald.
Committee members were impressed with the researchers' long-term perspective on vegetation change and the development of a general model for alpine succession. "The authors made effective use of past data integrated with a solid field study, yielding results were interesting in their implication that summit stewardship can produce effects in plant communities over relatively short time spans," according to the award committee's review of the paper.
The co-authors received a cash award and certificate of achievement.
More ESF News
- ESF Staff, Faculty Honored by SUNY Chancellor
- SUNY Board of Trustees Appoints Interim President of ESF
- ESF Student Wins at COINS Grand Challenge
- ESF Students Return from Puerto Rico
- AECís McNulty Named President of OBFS
- Former ESF Cross Country Coach Inducted into USCAA Hall of Fame
- ESF Welcomes Camp Fire Professor of Wildlife Conservation
- ESF Students Join Efforts to Rebuild Puerto Rico
- ESF Lists Top 10 New Species for 2018
- Mortarboards Fly and Students Become Alumni
- ESF Announces Career Fellows for 2018
- ESF Students Named SUNY Scholar-Athletes
- 14 ESF Students Set for Volunteer Work in Puerto Rico
- ESF Announces Commencement Weekend Activities
- ESF Honors Conservation Scientist Eleanor J. Sterling
Communications & Marketing
122 Bray Hall
1 Forestry Drive
Syracuse, NY 13210