College's Fall Barbecue Longstanding Tradition
Event brings together students, alumni, family and friends
The fall barbecue is a longstanding tradition at ESF, providing a time for students, faculty, staff - and later family, friends and alumni - to relax, enjoy each other's company and form long-lasting friendships.
In the College's early days the barbecues were held at nearby Green Lakes State Park during the work week, with the campus shutting down for the day to allow the entire college family to "relax and enjoy the scenery at Green Lakes State Park." (Knothole 1951). Also, in the early years, "the beef cooked all night over open fired built and replenished by members of the Forestry Club."
Along with the food, the day included numerous games that students competed in for the honor and glory of their respective classes. Freshmen to seniors competed in football, volleyball, horseshoes, greased pole climbs, tug-o-wars and three-legged races and, of course, timbersports.
Today, the Alumni and Family Fall Barbecue is a weekend event with catered food and activities centering around campus. Today's barbecues also include a senior alumni reunion, faculty presentations, a "coffee haus" and talent show by the students, coffee with the president, demonstrations by the Woodsmen's Team, an activities fair and the opportunity to catch an SU football game.
- Newcomb Campus Hosts Sculptor as Artist-in-residence
- Secret Lives of Amazonian Fishes Revealed by Chemicals Stored in Their Ear-stones
- ESF Landscape Architecture Students Receive ASLA Honors
- Student's Project Dishes Up Food to Those in Need
- Dr. Stewart Diemont Receives Teaching Award
- Dr. Stephen Stehman Named ESF Exemplary Researcher
- ESF Student Finalist for Olmsted Scholar Award
- 2016 Adirondack BioBlitz Kicks Off in the St. Lawrence Valley
- ESF Graduate Joins Teach for America
- ESF Lists Top 10 New Species for 2016
- Advice for Graduates: Stay United, 'Enjoy Your Wisdom'
- NYSERDA Launches Climate Change Science Clearinghouse
- Heather Carl Named SUNY Scholar-Athlete
- ESF Announces Commencement Weekend Activities
- ‘Amazing Experience’ with Animals Leads to Career Goal
Office of Communications
122 Bray Hall
1 Forestry Drive
Syracuse, NY 13210