College's Fall Barbecue Longstanding Tradition
Event brings together students, alumni, family and friends
The fall barbecue is a longstanding tradition at ESF, providing a time for students, faculty, staff - and later family, friends and alumni - to relax, enjoy each other's company and form long-lasting friendships.
In the College's early days the barbecues were held at nearby Green Lakes State Park during the work week, with the campus shutting down for the day to allow the entire college family to "relax and enjoy the scenery at Green Lakes State Park." (Knothole 1951). Also, in the early years, "the beef cooked all night over open fired built and replenished by members of the Forestry Club."
Along with the food, the day included numerous games that students competed in for the honor and glory of their respective classes. Freshmen to seniors competed in football, volleyball, horseshoes, greased pole climbs, tug-o-wars and three-legged races and, of course, timbersports.
Today, the Alumni and Family Fall Barbecue is a weekend event with catered food and activities centering around campus. Today's barbecues also include a senior alumni reunion, faculty presentations, a "coffee haus" and talent show by the students, coffee with the president, demonstrations by the Woodsmen's Team, an activities fair and the opportunity to catch an SU football game.
- Commencement Celebrates 'Stumpies...Because We Care'
- ESF Alumna Named Schwarzman Scholar
- ESF Celebrates December Commencement
- ESF Discovery Could Advance Cancer Research
- Senior Accomplishes Goal: ‘Publish in a Journal’
- ESF Students Participate in SEA Semester Program
- ESF President Joins NY Botanical Garden as ‘Distinguished Counsellor’
- Blackstone LaunchPad Hosts Syracuse Qualifier for Hult Prize
- Dr. James Gibbs Named SUNY Distinguished Professor
- ESF Students Place Second in SU ‘Impact Prize’ Competition
- ESF Researcher, Ph.D. Candidate Attend First Bioeconomy Conference
- ESF Professor Receives National Forestry Award
- Nature and Health Come Together at Syracuse VA Medical Center
- Mighty Oaks Athletes Earn Honors
- USCAA National Championships Recap
Office of Communications
122 Bray Hall
1 Forestry Drive
Syracuse, NY 13210