College's Fall Barbecue Longstanding Tradition
Event brings together students, alumni, family and friends
The fall barbecue is a longstanding tradition at ESF, providing a time for students, faculty, staff - and later family, friends and alumni - to relax, enjoy each other's company and form long-lasting friendships.
In the College's early days the barbecues were held at nearby Green Lakes State Park during the work week, with the campus shutting down for the day to allow the entire college family to "relax and enjoy the scenery at Green Lakes State Park." (Knothole 1951). Also, in the early years, "the beef cooked all night over open fired built and replenished by members of the Forestry Club."
Along with the food, the day included numerous games that students competed in for the honor and glory of their respective classes. Freshmen to seniors competed in football, volleyball, horseshoes, greased pole climbs, tug-o-wars and three-legged races and, of course, timbersports.
Today, the Alumni and Family Fall Barbecue is a weekend event with catered food and activities centering around campus. Today's barbecues also include a senior alumni reunion, faculty presentations, a "coffee haus" and talent show by the students, coffee with the president, demonstrations by the Woodsmen's Team, an activities fair and the opportunity to catch an SU football game.
Recent ESF News
- 2018 Fall Sports Preview
- ESF Stages Exhibits at New York State Fair
- NYC Students Learn Hands-on Science
- Study in ‘Nature’ Details Global Land Change
- ESF, Ichor Therapeutics Team Up to Combat Age-related Illness
- Wagner Receives College Foundation Teaching Award
- Dr. Timothy Volk Named Exemplary Researcher at ESF
- ESF Professor Appointed to International Board on Lake Ontario
- Society of American Foresters Plays Key Role in Student’s ESF Experience
- ESF Staff, Faculty Honored by SUNY Chancellor
- SUNY Board of Trustees Appoints Interim President of ESF
- ESF Student Wins at COINS Grand Challenge
- ESF Students Return from Puerto Rico
- AEC’s McNulty Named President of OBFS
- Former ESF Cross Country Coach Inducted into USCAA Hall of Fame
Communications & Marketing
122 Bray Hall
1 Forestry Drive
Syracuse, NY 13210