College's Fall Barbecue Longstanding Tradition
Event brings together students, alumni, family and friends
The fall barbecue is a longstanding tradition at ESF, providing a time for students, faculty, staff - and later family, friends and alumni - to relax, enjoy each other's company and form long-lasting friendships.
In the College's early days the barbecues were held at nearby Green Lakes State Park during the work week, with the campus shutting down for the day to allow the entire college family to "relax and enjoy the scenery at Green Lakes State Park." (Knothole 1951). Also, in the early years, "the beef cooked all night over open fired built and replenished by members of the Forestry Club."
Along with the food, the day included numerous games that students competed in for the honor and glory of their respective classes. Freshmen to seniors competed in football, volleyball, horseshoes, greased pole climbs, tug-o-wars and three-legged races and, of course, timbersports.
Today, the Alumni and Family Fall Barbecue is a weekend event with catered food and activities centering around campus. Today's barbecues also include a senior alumni reunion, faculty presentations, a "coffee haus" and talent show by the students, coffee with the president, demonstrations by the Woodsmen's Team, an activities fair and the opportunity to catch an SU football game.
- Paper Engineering Boosts Student through Semester Abroad
- ESF Alumnus Begins Peace Corps Service
- Travis Lecture Focuses on Restoring Giant in Galapagos
- Dream Becomes Reality for ESF Senior
- Summer on the Farm
- Workshop Highlights Role of Citizen Science in Battling Microplastics
- U.S. News Ranks ESF among the Best
- ESF Receives STARS Gold Rating For Sustainability Progress
- ESF No. 2 on Sierra Magazine’s ‘Cool Schools’ List for 2016
- Research Team Probes Health Effects of Onondaga Lakebed Sediment
- ESF among the Best, Princeton Review Says
- N.Y. Lieutenant Governor Joins ESF Leaders for Lab Openings
- Syracuse Poster Project on Display at Moon Library
- ESF Welcomes Strong Class for Fall 2016
- Alumna's Career Changes But Environmental Focus Remains
Office of Communications
122 Bray Hall
1 Forestry Drive
Syracuse, NY 13210