College's Fall Barbecue Longstanding Tradition
Event brings together students, alumni, family and friends
The fall barbecue is a longstanding tradition at ESF, providing a time for students, faculty, staff - and later family, friends and alumni - to relax, enjoy each other's company and form long-lasting friendships.
In the College's early days the barbecues were held at nearby Green Lakes State Park during the work week, with the campus shutting down for the day to allow the entire college family to "relax and enjoy the scenery at Green Lakes State Park." (Knothole 1951). Also, in the early years, "the beef cooked all night over open fired built and replenished by members of the Forestry Club."
Along with the food, the day included numerous games that students competed in for the honor and glory of their respective classes. Freshmen to seniors competed in football, volleyball, horseshoes, greased pole climbs, tug-o-wars and three-legged races and, of course, timbersports.
Today, the Alumni and Family Fall Barbecue is a weekend event with catered food and activities centering around campus. Today's barbecues also include a senior alumni reunion, faculty presentations, a "coffee haus" and talent show by the students, coffee with the president, demonstrations by the Woodsmen's Team, an activities fair and the opportunity to catch an SU football game.
- Farther from the Forest: ‘Eye-opening’ Study Shows Rural U.S. Loses Forests Faster than Cities
- ESF Professor Awarded Research Grant
- Darwin Celebrated in Moon Library
- Urban Design Experts to Speak at Green Building Conference
- ESF Alum Honored by White House
- ESF One of Princeton Review's "Colleges That Pay You Back"
- Former ESF President Whaley Honored by NY Bar Association
- ESF Junior Honored as 'Unsung Hero'
- ‘Jet’ Lewis Builds Busy Life as ESF Sophomore
- Tigers Could Roam Again in Central Asia, Scientists Say
- ESF Chemistry Professor Appointed VP for Research
- ESF Alumnus Wins Award for Sustainable Dog Treats
- Dedication to Environment Brings Student to ESF from Mexico
- ESF December Graduates Join Alumni Ranks
- AASHE Recognizes ESF for Sustainability Innovations
Office of Communications
122 Bray Hall
1 Forestry Drive
Syracuse, NY 13210