ESF’s Environmental Challenge Takes Over Carrier Dome
Hundreds of students bring the field of science to the football field.
Five hundred students from 10 middle schools in the City of Syracuse participated in the Environmental Challenge science fair sponsored by the SUNY College of Environmental Science and Forestry March 14.
The event, held in the Carrier Dome because the number of participants outgrew the previous venue on the ESF campus, is in its 11th year of challenging students to take a step beyond the typical science fair and fashion their projects around environmental topics.
"We need you to show us what's important to you as we go forward," said ESF President Cornelius B. Murphy, Jr., in his welcome to the young scientists. "We are going to be relying on you to lead us through future environmental challenges."
The Environmental Challenge is designed to encourage student projects that support and extend the seventh/eighth-grade grade science curriculum; foster student and teacher research, scientific inquiry, and critical thinking; expand student exploration of science, engineering, and related careers and educational interests; and increase student exploration and understanding of the urban environment and its relationship to the global environment.
- Farther from the Forest: ‘Eye-opening’ Study Shows Rural U.S. Loses Forests Faster than Cities
- ESF Professor Awarded Research Grant
- Darwin Celebrated in Moon Library
- Urban Design Experts to Speak at Green Building Conference
- ESF Alum Honored by White House
- ESF One of Princeton Review's "Colleges That Pay You Back"
- Former ESF President Whaley Honored by NY Bar Association
- ESF Junior Honored as 'Unsung Hero'
- ‘Jet’ Lewis Builds Busy Life as ESF Sophomore
- Tigers Could Roam Again in Central Asia, Scientists Say
- ESF Chemistry Professor Appointed VP for Research
- ESF Alumnus Wins Award for Sustainable Dog Treats
- Dedication to Environment Brings Student to ESF from Mexico
- ESF December Graduates Join Alumni Ranks
- AASHE Recognizes ESF for Sustainability Innovations
Office of Communications
122 Bray Hall
1 Forestry Drive
Syracuse, NY 13210