ESF’s Environmental Challenge Takes Over Carrier Dome
Hundreds of students bring the field of science to the football field.
Five hundred students from 10 middle schools in the City of Syracuse participated in the Environmental Challenge science fair sponsored by the SUNY College of Environmental Science and Forestry March 14.
The event, held in the Carrier Dome because the number of participants outgrew the previous venue on the ESF campus, is in its 11th year of challenging students to take a step beyond the typical science fair and fashion their projects around environmental topics.
"We need you to show us what's important to you as we go forward," said ESF President Cornelius B. Murphy, Jr., in his welcome to the young scientists. "We are going to be relying on you to lead us through future environmental challenges."
The Environmental Challenge is designed to encourage student projects that support and extend the seventh/eighth-grade grade science curriculum; foster student and teacher research, scientific inquiry, and critical thinking; expand student exploration of science, engineering, and related careers and educational interests; and increase student exploration and understanding of the urban environment and its relationship to the global environment.
- Mighty Oaks Hoops Play at the Dome
- ESF Celebrates Darwin and Wallace Feb. 15
- ESF Joins SUNY Puerto Rico Task Force
- Dr. Myron Mitchell Appointed to EPA Advisory Committee
- ESF, SU Celebrate Darwin’s Birthday with ‘Collecting Evolution’
- Smile! You’re On Canid Camera
- ESF, SU Announce Partnerships with Initial Focus on Water and Environment
- ESF Enhances Institutionalization of Inclusion, Equity, and Diversity
- What Species Is Most Fit for Life? All Have an Equal Chance, Scientists Say
- The Ocean Is Losing Its Breath
- Governor Unveils Plan to Protect N.Y. Lakes from Harmful Algal Blooms
- Acorns to Action Strives to Help Victims of Natural Disasters
- Synthetic Protein Could Be Key in Battle against Disease
- Hurricanes Hit, so Ph.D. Candidate Gets to Work in Puerto Rico
- ESF Student Part of First-Place Team in Hult Prize Competition
Office of Communications
122 Bray Hall
1 Forestry Drive
Syracuse, NY 13210