ESF To Host USCAA Cross Country National Championships
The races will be held at Drumlins Country Club, November 8, 2013
More than 500 of the nation's best collegiate cross-country runners will converge in Syracuse for the 2013 United States Collegiate Athletic Association (USCAA) Cross Country National Championships. Athletes will represent more than 50 colleges from across the United States at the two-day event happening Nov. 7-8 at Drumlins Country Club, 800 Nottingham Road. The USCAA Cross Country National Championships is hosted by SUNY College of Environmental Science & Forestry (ESF) with assistance from the USCAA.
"This is the first time Syracuse has been selected to host the USCAA Cross Country Championships," said SUNY-ESF Coordinator of Athletics Dan Ramin. "Our ESF cross-country teams have traveled to compete in the event the past three years and we are very excited to compete and defend the championship here in Syracuse."
The SUNY-ESF men's team won the championship in 2011 and 2012, while the women's team has finished in the top five for the past three years. The USCAA Cross Country Championships are an open meet. Entry is open to all member institutions wishing to participate.
On Friday, Nov. 8 the following events will take place at Drumlins Country Club:
- 11 a.m. - Womens' 6K Championship Race
- 12 p.m. - Mens' 8K Championship Race
Registration, the coursewalk and the championship banquet will be held Thursday, Nov. 7.
"The USCAA is excited to bring our Cross Country Championships to Syracuse," said Ryan Ehrie, USCAA senior administrator of championships. "From the city itself to the hard work that the SUNY-ESF athletic department has invested in this event, we look forward to our time in upstate New York. Our Cross Country Championships have been one of our largest and fastest-growing events, and we can't wait to spend the next two years working with SUNY-ESF and the entire Syracuse region."
The Syracuse Convention & Visitors Bureau (SCVB) estimates that the Cross Country National Championships will generate more than $500,000 in travel spending for Onondaga County.
"We salute SUNY-ESF's terrific efforts to secure the hosting bid for the 2013 Cross Country National Championships," said SCVB President David Holder. "Our Syracuse CVB team is ready to provide our award-winning customer service for the athletes, coaches and family members who travel to Syracuse."
The public is encouraged to attend the Championships to support the athletes. Parking and admission to the event are both free.
The USCAA Cross Country National Championships will take place in Syracuse in 2014, as well.
For more information about the USCAA Cross Country National Championship, visit the website or contact SUNY-ESF Coordinator of Athletics Dan Ramin at 480-6629. For media related inquiries, please contact SCVB Communications Manager Danica Kaltaler at 470-1903.
- What Species Is Most Fit for Life? All Have an Equal Chance, Scientists Say
- The Ocean Is Losing Its Breath — Here’s the Global Scope
- Governor Unveils Plan to Protect N.Y. Lakes from Harmful Algal Blooms
- Acorns to Action Strives to Help Victims of Natural Disasters
- Synthetic Protein Could Be Key in Battle against Disease
- Hurricanes Hit, so Ph.D. Candidate Gets to Work in Puerto Rico
- ESF Student Part of First-Place Team in Hult Prize Competition
- Zachary Smith's Commencement Speech
- Commencement Celebrates 'Stumpies...Because We Care'
- ESF Alumna Named Schwarzman Scholar
- ESF Celebrates December Commencement
- ESF Discovery Could Advance Cancer Research
- Senior Accomplishes Goal: ‘Publish in a Journal’
- ESF Students Participate in SEA Semester Program
- ESF President Joins NY Botanical Garden as ‘Distinguished Counsellor’
Office of Communications
122 Bray Hall
1 Forestry Drive
Syracuse, NY 13210