ESF To Host USCAA Cross Country National Championships
The races will be held at Drumlins Country Club, November 8, 2013
More than 500 of the nation's best collegiate cross-country runners will converge in Syracuse for the 2013 United States Collegiate Athletic Association (USCAA) Cross Country National Championships. Athletes will represent more than 50 colleges from across the United States at the two-day event happening Nov. 7-8 at Drumlins Country Club, 800 Nottingham Road. The USCAA Cross Country National Championships is hosted by SUNY College of Environmental Science & Forestry (ESF) with assistance from the USCAA.
"This is the first time Syracuse has been selected to host the USCAA Cross Country Championships," said SUNY-ESF Coordinator of Athletics Dan Ramin. "Our ESF cross-country teams have traveled to compete in the event the past three years and we are very excited to compete and defend the championship here in Syracuse."
The SUNY-ESF men's team won the championship in 2011 and 2012, while the women's team has finished in the top five for the past three years. The USCAA Cross Country Championships are an open meet. Entry is open to all member institutions wishing to participate.
On Friday, Nov. 8 the following events will take place at Drumlins Country Club:
- 11 a.m. - Womens' 6K Championship Race
- 12 p.m. - Mens' 8K Championship Race
Registration, the coursewalk and the championship banquet will be held Thursday, Nov. 7.
"The USCAA is excited to bring our Cross Country Championships to Syracuse," said Ryan Ehrie, USCAA senior administrator of championships. "From the city itself to the hard work that the SUNY-ESF athletic department has invested in this event, we look forward to our time in upstate New York. Our Cross Country Championships have been one of our largest and fastest-growing events, and we can't wait to spend the next two years working with SUNY-ESF and the entire Syracuse region."
The Syracuse Convention & Visitors Bureau (SCVB) estimates that the Cross Country National Championships will generate more than $500,000 in travel spending for Onondaga County.
"We salute SUNY-ESF's terrific efforts to secure the hosting bid for the 2013 Cross Country National Championships," said SCVB President David Holder. "Our Syracuse CVB team is ready to provide our award-winning customer service for the athletes, coaches and family members who travel to Syracuse."
The public is encouraged to attend the Championships to support the athletes. Parking and admission to the event are both free.
The USCAA Cross Country National Championships will take place in Syracuse in 2014, as well.
For more information about the USCAA Cross Country National Championship, visit the website or contact SUNY-ESF Coordinator of Athletics Dan Ramin at 480-6629. For media related inquiries, please contact SCVB Communications Manager Danica Kaltaler at 470-1903.
- Students Recognize Contributions of Faculty, Staff
- Martin Hogue Receives Teaching Award
- Dr. John Farrell Named Exemplary Researcher at ESF
- ESF Staff, Faculty Honored by Chancellor
- Syracuse City Schools to take ESF’s Environmental Challenge
- Jorge Guarin Named SUNY Scholar-Athlete
- ESF Lists Top 10 New Species for 2017
- Dr. Nosa Egiebor Joins ESF as Provost, Executive VP
- Class of '17 Joins ESF Alumni Ranks
- Cultural and Natural Sustainability Come Together in New AIC Program
- Chemistry Student Wins Award
- ESF Announces Commencement Weekend Activities
- Oakie Acorn Receives Mascot Madness Trophy
- ESF Students Celebrate Arbor Day
- ESF Earns ‘Tree Campus’ Distinction
Office of Communications
122 Bray Hall
1 Forestry Drive
Syracuse, NY 13210