Smardon Appointed Great Lakes Basin Advisory Council Chair
ESF professor has served on council since 1989
Dr. Richard C. Smardon, ESF professor of environmental studies, has been appointed chair of the New York State Great Lakes Basin Advisory Council (GLBAC) by New York Gov. David Patterson. Smardon has been a member of the council since 1989 as a governor's appointment for research.
The role of the New York State Great Lakes Basin Advisory Council is to advise the governor and legislature on Great Lakes policy issues. Currently, the GLBAC is conducting workshops around the state on the Great Lakes Compact, which will regulate all major Great Lakes out-of-basin water transfers. The state has to develop an implementation plan, so the council is collecting reactions to a series of white papers.
- Farther from the Forest: ‘Eye-opening’ Study Shows Rural U.S. Loses Forests Faster than Cities
- ESF Professor Awarded Research Grant
- Darwin Celebrated in Moon Library
- Urban Design Experts to Speak at Green Building Conference
- ESF Alum Honored by White House
- ESF One of Princeton Review's "Colleges That Pay You Back"
- Former ESF President Whaley Honored by NY Bar Association
- ESF Junior Honored as 'Unsung Hero'
- ‘Jet’ Lewis Builds Busy Life as ESF Sophomore
- Tigers Could Roam Again in Central Asia, Scientists Say
- ESF Chemistry Professor Appointed VP for Research
- ESF Alumnus Wins Award for Sustainable Dog Treats
- Dedication to Environment Brings Student to ESF from Mexico
- ESF December Graduates Join Alumni Ranks
- AASHE Recognizes ESF for Sustainability Innovations
Office of Communications
122 Bray Hall
1 Forestry Drive
Syracuse, NY 13210