ESF Professor Honored By Purdue University
Dr. Donald Leopold receives distinguished alumni award
SYRACUSE - Dr. Donald Leopold, a professor at the SUNY College of Environmental Science and Forestry (ESF), has been honored by Purdue University.
Leopold received the College of Agriculture's Distinguished Agriculture Alumni Award for 2014. The award is made to alumni with a record of outstanding accomplishment, significant contributions to profession and society and demonstration of high potential for professional growth.
Leopold, who received his Ph.D. from Purdue in 1984, is a Distinguished Teaching Professor and chair of ESF's Department of Environmental and Forest Biology.
Leopold has produced six books, more than 60 publications in refereed journals and 12 publications in proceedings describing numerous factors that influence ecological processes within northeastern forests.
Under his direction, more than 60 graduate students have completed their theses or dissertations, and he has served as principal or co-principal investigator on grants amounting to more than $30 million to support his research program.
"He is recognized as a distinguished teacher through his dedication to teaching both undergraduate and graduate students while advancing our scientific understanding of ecological processes within forests and wetlands of the northeastern United States," said his nominator, Rob Swihart, head of the Department of Forestry and Natural Resources at Purdue.
- ESF Celebrates Role of Field Science in Society
- ESF Education Helps Alumnus Launch Agritourism Success
- Princeton Review Ranks ESF No. 2 among Nation’s ‘Green Colleges’
- Beer Eases Final Moments for Euthanized Invertebrates
- ERE Major Tackles Wastewater Plan in Iceland
- 44 ESF Students Spend Summer as DEC Interns
- Paper Engineering Boosts Student through Semester Abroad
- ESF Alumnus Begins Peace Corps Service
- Travis Lecture Focuses on Restoring Giant in Galapagos
- Dream Becomes Reality for ESF Senior
- Summer on the Farm
- Workshop Highlights Role of Citizen Science in Battling Microplastics
- U.S. News Ranks ESF among the Best
- ESF Receives STARS Gold Rating For Sustainability Progress
- ESF No. 2 on Sierra Magazine’s ‘Cool Schools’ List for 2016
Office of Communications
122 Bray Hall
1 Forestry Drive
Syracuse, NY 13210