Darwin Celebrations Include Poster and Book Displays
Campus invited to book-plate giveaway Feb. 11 at Moon Library
ESF will highlight research in evolutionary biology to celebrate the legacy of biological evolution's co-discoverers: Alfred Russel Wallace and Charles Darwin.
Students taking Evolution (EFB 311) have created mini-posters highlighting some of the most compelling research in evolutionary biology from 2014 and 2015. The posters will be on display in Moon Library on the ESF campus until late February.
Between 12:45 and 1: 40 p.m. (known on campus as the weekly "college hour") Wednesday, Feb. 11 - the day before Darwin's birthday, and a month and three days after Wallace's - Moon Library will give away a permanent book plate in honor of the occasion. The library will also feature a display of books by and about Darwin and Wallace. Members of the campus community are invited to stop by to admire the posters and enjoy a snack.
Around the world, people celebrate Darwin Day to honor Darwin's contributions to our understanding of the life sciences. This year, ESF added the lesser-known, but notably intrepid, naturalist Wallace to the billing in recognition of the fact that a pivotal moment in our modern understanding of biology was a joint presentation by Darwin and Wallace of their 1858 paper: "On the Tendency of Species to form Varieties; and on the Perpetuation of Varieties and Species by Natural Means of Selection."
Recent ESF News
- ESF Stages Exhibits at New York State Fair
- NYC Students Learn Hands-on Science
- Study in ‘Nature’ Details Global Land Change
- ESF, Ichor Therapeutics Team Up to Combat Age-related Illness
- Wagner Receives College Foundation Teaching Award
- Dr. Timothy Volk Named Exemplary Researcher at ESF
- ESF Professor Appointed to International Board on Lake Ontario
- Society of American Foresters Plays Key Role in Student’s ESF Experience
- ESF Staff, Faculty Honored by SUNY Chancellor
- SUNY Board of Trustees Appoints Interim President of ESF
- ESF Student Wins at COINS Grand Challenge
- ESF Students Return from Puerto Rico
- AEC’s McNulty Named President of OBFS
- Former ESF Cross Country Coach Inducted into USCAA Hall of Fame
- ESF Welcomes Camp Fire Professor of Wildlife Conservation
Communications & Marketing
122 Bray Hall
1 Forestry Drive
Syracuse, NY 13210