SUNY Chancellor Visits ESF for ‘Speak Out’ with Students
ESF and Oswego students spend 90 minutes with Zimpher
SUNY Chancellor Nancy Zimpher met with three dozen SUNY students Friday (Feb. 27) for a "Student Speak Out," a wide-ranging conversation that focused on the students' experiences in the university system.
The students, about half of came from SUNY Oswego to join their ESF counterparts, were invited to share thoughts about why they chose SUNY, how their experience has been so far and what they expect to get out of their education. They were also invited to comment on how they managed finances, including tuition.
Zimpher said the students she met with in ESF's Gateway Center are among the "best and brightest" of SUNY. She said she would take the students' comments to the state Legislature as budget talks are underway.
"I want to underscore that your voice matters," she said at the start of the 90-minute session. "Tell me, and I will tell the Legislature. I'm listening to help us move forward."
When Zimpher asked the students to mention one concern they would like the Legislature to consider, their comments included support for the Educational Opportunity Program and Collegiate Science and Technology Entry Program, scholarships, need-based financial aid, cultural diversity, sustainability, rational tuition, marketing of the system both in the United States and internationally, study-abroad opportunities, access to transportation for students traveling to internships and student-teaching assignments, and new facilities.
Recent ESF News
- ESF Stages Exhibits at New York State Fair
- NYC Students Learn Hands-on Science
- Study in ‘Nature’ Details Global Land Change
- ESF, Ichor Therapeutics Team Up to Combat Age-related Illness
- Wagner Receives College Foundation Teaching Award
- Dr. Timothy Volk Named Exemplary Researcher at ESF
- ESF Professor Appointed to International Board on Lake Ontario
- Society of American Foresters Plays Key Role in Student’s ESF Experience
- ESF Staff, Faculty Honored by SUNY Chancellor
- SUNY Board of Trustees Appoints Interim President of ESF
- ESF Student Wins at COINS Grand Challenge
- ESF Students Return from Puerto Rico
- AEC’s McNulty Named President of OBFS
- Former ESF Cross Country Coach Inducted into USCAA Hall of Fame
- ESF Welcomes Camp Fire Professor of Wildlife Conservation
Communications & Marketing
122 Bray Hall
1 Forestry Drive
Syracuse, NY 13210