CNY Girls Summit Career Conference Comes to ESF
Program to focus on career aspirations for middle, high school girls
A day-ong summit developed to increase confidence and foster educational and career aspirations in middle and high school girls, organized by Girls Inc. at the YWCA, will come to ESF 9 a.m. to 3:30 p.m. April 25.
Girls Summit is a career conference created to empower girls with confidence, knowledge and role models essential for making educational and life decisions consistent with personal goals of economic independence, self-sufficiency and equality. The event is open to all girls in the Central New York area, with a particular focus on outreach to the Syracuse inner city.
The summit will consist of an opening ceremony after which each group will rotate through various workshops. Following a lunch break, the assembly will come together for a panel discussion with undergraduate students.
The College Prep Panel will feature students from area colleges and focus on inspiring girls to think about higher education and the critical factors to take into account when considering going to college. Topics will include academic and non-academic skills needed for college, college aspirations and expectations, critical steps for college entry, student financial awareness,and support systems.
During the program, girls will be guided and counseled in learning more about non-traditional career options, the importance of math, science and technology within those careers and how successful women have negotiated life decisions. Women in non-traditional careers, including Dr. Biljana Bujanovic of ESF's Department of Paper and Bioprocess Engineering, will speak with the girls. ESF students will be on hand to help with activities.
The CNY Girls Summit Career Conference is organized by Girls Inc. at the YWCA in collaboration with Pretty Girls Rock and Girl Scouts, and hosted by ESF and the ESF Women's Caucus.
- What Species Is Most Fit for Life? All Have an Equal Chance, Scientists Say
- The Ocean Is Losing Its Breath — Here’s the Global Scope
- Governor Unveils Plan to Protect N.Y. Lakes from Harmful Algal Blooms
- Acorns to Action Strives to Help Victims of Natural Disasters
- Synthetic Protein Could Be Key in Battle against Disease
- Hurricanes Hit, so Ph.D. Candidate Gets to Work in Puerto Rico
- ESF Student Part of First-Place Team in Hult Prize Competition
- Zachary Smith's Commencement Speech
- Commencement Celebrates 'Stumpies...Because We Care'
- ESF Alumna Named Schwarzman Scholar
- ESF Celebrates December Commencement
- ESF Discovery Could Advance Cancer Research
- Senior Accomplishes Goal: ‘Publish in a Journal’
- ESF Students Participate in SEA Semester Program
- ESF President Joins NY Botanical Garden as ‘Distinguished Counsellor’
Office of Communications
122 Bray Hall
1 Forestry Drive
Syracuse, NY 13210