Summit Provides Business Opportunities for Minority and Women-Owned Companies
ESF co-sponsors event with SUNY Upstate Medical University and Chamber of Commerce
The SUNY College of Environmental Science and Forestry (ESF) and SUNY Upstate Medical University will co-sponsor a summit March 11 that will offer an opportunity for Central New York's public colleges to learn more about the services provided by minority- and woman-owned business enterprises (MWBEs).
At the same time, business owners can become educated about the state processes that lead to certification as a minority- or woman-owned business.
The two SUNY campuses are collaborating with SUNY Central Administration and the Syracuse Chamber of Commerce to host the SUNY Central Region MWBE Summit on the Upstate campus. The event will be 9 a.m. to 3 p.m. in the Institute for Human Performance building, 505 Irving Ave.
The summit will begin with a welcome from Upstate President David Smith and ESF President Cornelius B. Murphy, Jr., and a videotaped greeting by SUNY Chancellor Nancy Zimpher. In addition to networking and business opportunities, there will be presentations by Vicente Alfonso, university-wide M/WBE specialist; Thomas Hippchen, director of university-wide procurement; and Nancy Fischer, deputy director of the Small Business Division of the Empire State Development Corp.
Representatives from eight regional SUNY campuses and some 40 vendors are expected to attend.
The state Division of Minority and Women-Owned Business Development focuses on promoting equality of economic opportunities for MWBEs and to eliminate barriers to their participation in state contracts. SUNY's policy is to take action to ensure that New York state's certified minority and women-owned businesses have an opportunity to demonstrate their ability to provide the university with commodities and services at competitive prices.
Those wishing to register or obtain further information can go to www.esf.edu/mwbetradefair.
More ESF News
- ESF Lists Top 10 New Species for 2018
- Mortarboards Fly and Students Become Alumni
- ESF Announces Career Fellows for 2018
- ESF Students Named SUNY Scholar-Athletes
- 14 ESF Students Set for Volunteer Work in Puerto Rico
- ESF Announces Commencement Weekend Activities
- ESF Honors Conservation Scientist Eleanor J. Sterling
- Researchers Find Whole Genome Duplication Has Occurred Many Times during Evolution of Insects
- Chemistry Graduate Student Wins Award
- Nomura Group Recognized for Top Article
- Hello, Mr. President — About the Environment…
- ESF Team among Finalists for $2.5M Canals Competition
- Two ESF Students Honored with Chancellor's Award
- 3 ESF Students among Winners at SU RvD iPrize Competition
- 4 ESF Students Honored as Storyfest 2018 Finalists
Communications & Marketing
122 Bray Hall
1 Forestry Drive
Syracuse, NY 13210