Summit Provides Business Opportunities for Minority and Women-Owned Companies
ESF co-sponsors event with SUNY Upstate Medical University and Chamber of Commerce
The SUNY College of Environmental Science and Forestry (ESF) and SUNY Upstate Medical University will co-sponsor a summit March 11 that will offer an opportunity for Central New York's public colleges to learn more about the services provided by minority- and woman-owned business enterprises (MWBEs).
At the same time, business owners can become educated about the state processes that lead to certification as a minority- or woman-owned business.
The two SUNY campuses are collaborating with SUNY Central Administration and the Syracuse Chamber of Commerce to host the SUNY Central Region MWBE Summit on the Upstate campus. The event will be 9 a.m. to 3 p.m. in the Institute for Human Performance building, 505 Irving Ave.
The summit will begin with a welcome from Upstate President David Smith and ESF President Cornelius B. Murphy, Jr., and a videotaped greeting by SUNY Chancellor Nancy Zimpher. In addition to networking and business opportunities, there will be presentations by Vicente Alfonso, university-wide M/WBE specialist; Thomas Hippchen, director of university-wide procurement; and Nancy Fischer, deputy director of the Small Business Division of the Empire State Development Corp.
Representatives from eight regional SUNY campuses and some 40 vendors are expected to attend.
The state Division of Minority and Women-Owned Business Development focuses on promoting equality of economic opportunities for MWBEs and to eliminate barriers to their participation in state contracts. SUNY's policy is to take action to ensure that New York state's certified minority and women-owned businesses have an opportunity to demonstrate their ability to provide the university with commodities and services at competitive prices.
Those wishing to register or obtain further information can go to www.esf.edu/mwbetradefair.
- AASHE Recognizes ESF for Sustainability Innovations
- ESF Celebrates December Commencement
- Teamwork Gets Soccer Players Volunteering for Food Recovery
- 9 Reasons Why ESF Students Love Centennial Hall
- 18 ESF Student-athletes Earn Fall Honors
- Mighty Oaks Women Fall in National Soccer Tournament Final
- Malmsheimer Receives Sir William Schlich Memorial Award
- ESF Hosts Symposium on Divestment and ‘Just Transition’
- XC Men Repeat as Conference Champs; Women 2nd
- New Book By ESF Professors Released
- Biomimicry Focus of Two-Day Event at ESF
- Mighty Oaks Soccer Teams Sweep Conference Championships
- ESF Celebrates Role of Field Science in Society
- ESF Education Helps Alumnus Launch Agritourism Success
- Princeton Review Ranks ESF No. 2 among Nation’s ‘Green Colleges’
Office of Communications
122 Bray Hall
1 Forestry Drive
Syracuse, NY 13210