Friday, August 22, 2014
Subscribe (News reader required)
- At the Fair: Great Shipwrecks of New York’s ‘Great’ Lakes
- SUNY-ESF Stages Exhibits at New York State Fair
- Expanded Centennial Hall Ready for New Residents
- ESF Expects Record Class for Fall
- Giant Amazon Fish Becoming Extinct in Many Communities
A First and Second Place for ESF Woodsmen's Team
ESF hosted the 5th annual East Coast Lumberjack Roundup
The SUNY College of Environmental Science and Forestry Woodsmen's Team hosted the fifth annual East Coast Lumberjack Roundup March 27 at the College's Lafayette Road Experiment Station.
Teams from Finger Lakes Community College, Paul Smith's College, Penn State University, SUNY Cobleskill and Alfred State College competed.
The ESF women took first place in their competition, ahead of Paul Smith's in second place and Finger Lakes Community College in third. The men's team came in second. Paul Smith's College finished first in the men's division and Finger Lakes was third.
Finishing first through third in the co-ed Jack-and-Jill competition were Alfred, Cobleskill and Paul Smith's.
Woodmen's competitions feature contests in traditional logging techniques, including horizontal chop, ax throw and pole climb.
Upcoming Woodsmen team events:
- Mud Meet, April 9-11, hosted by Colby College, Waterville, Me.
- Spring Meet, April 23-24, hosted by Paul Smith's College
122 Bray Hall
1 Forestry Drive
Syracuse, NY 13210