ESF Students Go Back To 5th Grade
Recycling, cleaning up and planting a garden
The Student Environmental Action Coalition at the SUNY College of Environmental Science and Forestry (ESF) began work at Fraser School in the Syracuse City School District on Friday, April 9th, and will return the next two Fridays to help the fifth-grade students clean up the area around the school, learn about recycling, start flower seeds in their classrooms and finally transplant those flowers to the school grounds.
A dozen ESF students are participating in this service-learning project. They will have a chance to interact with the Fraser fifth graders in small groups and the ESF students are being encouraged to share what they study and what college is like.
"This is a great opportunity for fifth-grade students to perhaps meet a college student for the first time," said Elizabeth Mix, Volunteer and Service Learning Coordinator at ESF.
Mix said, "These young students are always shocked to hear that some college students can study bugs, animals, plants and other fun things."
Cleanup and recycling activities take place tomorrow. The flower planting is scheduled for April 16th and the transplanting of the flowers is set for April 23rd.
Fraser School is located at 741 Park Avenue.
- Community Stewards to Receive ESF’s Feinstone Award
- ESF Hosts Inaugural SUNY Leaders Sustainability Summit
- AIC’s Artist-in-Residence to Be Featured in ESF Show
- Princeton Review Again Ranks ESF No. 2 among Nation’s ‘Green Colleges’
- SUNY, W.K. Kellogg Foundation Announce Grant for Sustainable Village and Learning Community in Haiti
- ‘Moonlighting’ Focuses on E.O. Wilson’s Half-Earth Project
- ESF Golfers Take to Links in Players Championship
- Newcomb Campus Hosts Artist in Residence
- Soccer Teams Win Big on Senior Day
- Snails Bred in ESF Lab Help Species Crawl Back from Brink of Extinction
- ‘Extinct’ Floreana Tortoise Species Could Return to Galapagos
- U.S. News Ranks ESF among the Best
- LA, EFB Students Delve Into Harriet Tubman’s History
- MLA Student Receives ASLA Honors
- ESF Co-Sponsors ‘Drive and Shine’
Office of Communications
122 Bray Hall
1 Forestry Drive
Syracuse, NY 13210