ESF Students Go Back To 5th Grade
Recycling, cleaning up and planting a garden
The video associated with this story has been removed. Contact email@example.com if you need further information.
The Student Environmental Action Coalition at the SUNY College of Environmental Science and Forestry (ESF) began work at Fraser School in the Syracuse City School District on Friday, April 9th, and will return the next two Fridays to help the fifth-grade students clean up the area around the school, learn about recycling, start flower seeds in their classrooms and finally transplant those flowers to the school grounds.
A dozen ESF students are participating in this service-learning project. They will have a chance to interact with the Fraser fifth graders in small groups and the ESF students are being encouraged to share what they study and what college is like.
"This is a great opportunity for fifth-grade students to perhaps meet a college student for the first time," said Elizabeth Mix, Volunteer and Service Learning Coordinator at ESF.
Mix said, "These young students are always shocked to hear that some college students can study bugs, animals, plants and other fun things."
Cleanup and recycling activities take place tomorrow. The flower planting is scheduled for April 16th and the transplanting of the flowers is set for April 23rd.
Fraser School is located at 741 Park Avenue.
Recent ESF News
- ESF Professor Appointed to International Board on Lake Ontario
- Society of American Foresters Plays Key Role in Studentís ESF Experience
- ESF Staff, Faculty Honored by SUNY Chancellor
- SUNY Board of Trustees Appoints Interim President of ESF
- ESF Student Wins at COINS Grand Challenge
- ESF Students Return from Puerto Rico
- AECís McNulty Named President of OBFS
- Former ESF Cross Country Coach Inducted into USCAA Hall of Fame
- ESF Welcomes Camp Fire Professor of Wildlife Conservation
- ESF Students Join Efforts to Rebuild Puerto Rico
- ESF Lists Top 10 New Species for 2018
- Mortarboards Fly and Students Become Alumni
- ESF Announces Career Fellows for 2018
- ESF Students Named SUNY Scholar-Athletes
- 14 ESF Students Set for Volunteer Work in Puerto Rico
Communications & Marketing
122 Bray Hall
1 Forestry Drive
Syracuse, NY 13210