Mighty Oaks Summer Sports Update
On the schedule: bass fishing and golf
Classes are over for the summer but action continues in the world of ESF athletics.
First, the ESF bass fishing club was humbled at the Fishing League Worldwide (FLW) College Fishing Northern Conference opener at Smith Mountain Lake, Virginia this spring.
Sophomore Lukas Matt and freshman Caleb Konrad struggled in the college-level tournament, finishing 42nd out of 47 teams. Despite the poor finish, both Konrad and Matt agreed that the tournament, held May 9, was a learning experience.
"We didn't do well, but we had a lot of fun," said Matt. He is the son of Joe Matt, a widely known local bass fisherman whose nickname is the "The Fishin' Mortician."
More recently, the Mighty Oaks athletics department held its annual golf scramble fundraiser at the June 4 at the Links at Erie Village.
Beautiful weather highlighted the event. Twelve teams, consisting of four players each, participated in the tournament, which featured raffle prizes including New York Yankees tickets and a Delta Airlines travel certificate. Other highlights included a record 15-under-par finish for John Turbeville, assistant dean of student affairs and men's golf head coach, and his team. Bob French, vice president for enrollment management and marketing, placed first in the longest drive contest.
- Nomura Group Recognized for Top Article
- Hello, Mr. President — About the Environment…
- ESF Team among Finalists for $2.5M Canals Competition
- Two ESF Students Honored with Chancellor's Award
- 3 ESF Students among Winners at SU RvD iPrize Competition
- 4 ESF Students Honored as Storyfest 2018 Finalists
- Student-Athletes Honored at Annual Banquet
- Army Touches Down at Ranger School for Training Mission
- ESF Professor's New Book Looks at What Makes Something 'Alive'
- Ducks Unlimited Lists ESF among 'Sweet 16' Collegiate Chapters
- Trees Cope with Harsh Conditions, Surprising Researchers
- ERE Professor Focuses Sabbatical on GIS Technology
- Dr. Jack Manno, Cindy Squillace Honored with Racial Justice Award
- Mighty Oaks Hoops Play at the Dome
- ESF Celebrates Darwin and Wallace Feb. 15
Office of Communications
122 Bray Hall
1 Forestry Drive
Syracuse, NY 13210