Mighty Oaks Summer Sports Update
On the schedule: bass fishing and golf
Classes are over for the summer but action continues in the world of ESF athletics.
First, the ESF bass fishing club was humbled at the Fishing League Worldwide (FLW) College Fishing Northern Conference opener at Smith Mountain Lake, Virginia this spring.
Sophomore Lukas Matt and freshman Caleb Konrad struggled in the college-level tournament, finishing 42nd out of 47 teams. Despite the poor finish, both Konrad and Matt agreed that the tournament, held May 9, was a learning experience.
"We didn't do well, but we had a lot of fun," said Matt. He is the son of Joe Matt, a widely known local bass fisherman whose nickname is the "The Fishin' Mortician."
More recently, the Mighty Oaks athletics department held its annual golf scramble fundraiser at the June 4 at the Links at Erie Village.
Beautiful weather highlighted the event. Twelve teams, consisting of four players each, participated in the tournament, which featured raffle prizes including New York Yankees tickets and a Delta Airlines travel certificate. Other highlights included a record 15-under-par finish for John Turbeville, assistant dean of student affairs and men's golf head coach, and his team. Bob French, vice president for enrollment management and marketing, placed first in the longest drive contest.
- ESF Professor Receives National Forestry Award
- Nature and Health Come Together at Syracuse VA Medical Center
- Mighty Oaks Athletes Earn Honors
- USCAA National Championships Recap
- Mighty Oaks Compete in Conference Tournaments
- Community Stewards to Receive ESF’s Feinstone Award
- ESF Hosts Inaugural SUNY Leaders Sustainability Summit
- AIC’s Artist-in-Residence to Be Featured in ESF Show
- Princeton Review Again Ranks ESF No. 2 among Nation’s ‘Green Colleges’
- SUNY, W.K. Kellogg Foundation Announce Grant for Sustainable Village and Learning Community in Haiti
- ‘Moonlighting’ Focuses on E.O. Wilson’s Half-Earth Project
- ESF Golfers Take to Links in Players Championship
- Newcomb Campus Hosts Artist in Residence
- Soccer Teams Win Big on Senior Day
- Snails Bred in ESF Lab Help Species Crawl Back from Brink of Extinction
Office of Communications
122 Bray Hall
1 Forestry Drive
Syracuse, NY 13210