Barbecue, Activities Fair Mark Start of Earth Week on Campus
Evening events include Onondaga Land Rights event, film about climate change debate
Hundreds of ESF students gathered on the Quad Monday, April 19, for an activities fair and barbecue as Earth Week activities moved into full swing on campus.
The day began with a yoga class on the grassy quad. A team of volunteers fired up three grills and flipped burgers, hot dogs and veggie burgers for the annual Earth Week barbecue. At the same time, representatives from several student organizations set up displays to publicize their activities for the campus community.
ESF's Green Campus Initiative, which looks for ways to make the operation of the campus more environmentally friendly, set up a display at the SU Showcase, where the focus was on the theme of sustainability. The showcase also featured a presentation on ESF's biodiesel production operation. The college makes fuel for its vehicle fleet from waste cooking oil obtained from Syracuse University dining halls.
Scheduled for later in the day Monday are:
-The annual Shifting Paradigms lecture by Dr. Robert Costanza, director of Gund Institute for Ecological Economics at the University of Vermont.
-An event that is part of the Onondaga Land Rights and Our Common Future series, 7 p.m. at Syracuse Stage. The Onondaga Nation will share its vision for Onondaga Lake Cleanup. ESF President Cornelius B. Murphy, Jr., will speak about ESF's support of research at the lake.
-A showing of the film Sizzle: A Global Warming Comedy, at 7:30 p.m. in ESF's Marshall Auditorium, followed by a panel discussion.
Recent ESF News
- Society of American Foresters Plays Key Role in Studentís ESF Experience
- ESF Staff, Faculty Honored by SUNY Chancellor
- SUNY Board of Trustees Appoints Interim President of ESF
- ESF Student Wins at COINS Grand Challenge
- ESF Students Return from Puerto Rico
- AECís McNulty Named President of OBFS
- Former ESF Cross Country Coach Inducted into USCAA Hall of Fame
- ESF Welcomes Camp Fire Professor of Wildlife Conservation
- ESF Students Join Efforts to Rebuild Puerto Rico
- ESF Lists Top 10 New Species for 2018
- Mortarboards Fly and Students Become Alumni
- ESF Announces Career Fellows for 2018
- ESF Students Named SUNY Scholar-Athletes
- 14 ESF Students Set for Volunteer Work in Puerto Rico
- ESF Announces Commencement Weekend Activities
Communications & Marketing
122 Bray Hall
1 Forestry Drive
Syracuse, NY 13210