Basketball Team Goes 0-2 at Tip Off Tournament
ESF drops games to Villa Maria and Point Park
The Mighty Oaks men's basketball team got off to a rough start with losses to Villa Maria College and Point Park College in the Harts Hotel Tip Off Tournament hosted by Villa Maria College.
In the first game versus the Vikings of Villa Maria College, ESF got off to a good start, taking a 18-17 lead midway through the first half and holding Villa Maria to 28 percent shooting. At halftime, Villa Maria led 24-22.
In the second half, the Vikings pulled ahead by six points with 15 minutes remaining in the half. ESF answered with an 8-0 run to take a two-point lead, 48-46. Both teams battled the last four minutes of the game resulting in several lead changes. A three-point play by Villa Maria with a minute left gave the Viking the lead as they held on for a 69-62 win. Junior Ryan Caldwell led the Mighty Oaks with 16 points and tied the school record with 17 rebounds. Junior transfer Jared Bard finished with 14 points in his first game with the Mighty Oaks.
In the second game of the tournament, ESF faced NAIA Division II opponent Point Park College. Point Park had scorched its first-round opponent (SUNY Delhi) with 19 three-pointers. The Pioneers continued their hot shooting inthe second game, torching the Mighty Oaks with 18 three-pointers, 11 in the first half. The hot shooting was too much for the Mighty Oaks to overcome as they fell 118-60.
The Mighty Oaks will be back in action versus Broome Community College Nov. 10.
- ESF Professor Receives National Forestry Award
- Nature and Health Come Together at Syracuse VA Medical Center
- Mighty Oaks Athletes Earn Honors
- USCAA National Championships Recap
- Mighty Oaks Compete in Conference Tournaments
- Community Stewards to Receive ESF’s Feinstone Award
- ESF Hosts Inaugural SUNY Leaders Sustainability Summit
- AIC’s Artist-in-Residence to Be Featured in ESF Show
- Princeton Review Again Ranks ESF No. 2 among Nation’s ‘Green Colleges’
- SUNY, W.K. Kellogg Foundation Announce Grant for Sustainable Village and Learning Community in Haiti
- ‘Moonlighting’ Focuses on E.O. Wilson’s Half-Earth Project
- ESF Golfers Take to Links in Players Championship
- Newcomb Campus Hosts Artist in Residence
- Soccer Teams Win Big on Senior Day
- Snails Bred in ESF Lab Help Species Crawl Back from Brink of Extinction
Office of Communications
122 Bray Hall
1 Forestry Drive
Syracuse, NY 13210