Kelleher Joins ESF to Increase Focus on Renewable Energy
New Director of Renewable Energy Systems
SYRACUSE -Michael Kelleher of Cortland has joined the staff at the SUNY College of Environmental Science and Forestry (ESF) as the director of renewable energy systems.
In this new position, Kelleher will focus on finding and adopting technologies to help the college save energy and produce energy from sustainable and renewable sources.
Currently the college is looking into using wind turbines and a photovoltaic array at its Heiburg Forest campus in Tully to power the classroom building. A proposal is also being developed to replace an inefficient oil heating system at the Ranger School in Wanakena with a wood boiler.
"The wood boiler would save the college between $10,000 and $15,000 a year and be carbon neutral," Kelleher said.
Kelleher is heading up efforts to place energy management systems in ESF buildings to increase the efficiency of the heating and cooling systems.
Kelleher also serves as co-director of the SUNY Center for Sustainable and Renewable Energy, a 64-campus research and development clearinghouse in the area of energy sufficiency and sustainability. He is a member of the ESF Campus Climate Change Committee.
"There's a lot of interest and excitement over sustainable and renewable energy," Kelleher said. "I look forward to being here and interacting with the students and faculty."
Kelleher joined ESF from National Grid/Niagara Mohawk where he was senior vice president. Prior to joining National Grid, Kelleher was a research economist at Cornell University with the spent 18 years with National Grid. He also did research with the Department of Agricultural Economics at Cornell University.
Kelleher sits on the boards of Catamount Energy, the Montezuma Audubon Center, the Museum of Science and Technology, and the Everson Museum of Art.
Recent ESF News
- 2018 Fall Sports Preview
- ESF Stages Exhibits at New York State Fair
- NYC Students Learn Hands-on Science
- Study in ‘Nature’ Details Global Land Change
- ESF, Ichor Therapeutics Team Up to Combat Age-related Illness
- Wagner Receives College Foundation Teaching Award
- Dr. Timothy Volk Named Exemplary Researcher at ESF
- ESF Professor Appointed to International Board on Lake Ontario
- Society of American Foresters Plays Key Role in Student’s ESF Experience
- ESF Staff, Faculty Honored by SUNY Chancellor
- SUNY Board of Trustees Appoints Interim President of ESF
- ESF Student Wins at COINS Grand Challenge
- ESF Students Return from Puerto Rico
- AEC’s McNulty Named President of OBFS
- Former ESF Cross Country Coach Inducted into USCAA Hall of Fame
Communications & Marketing
122 Bray Hall
1 Forestry Drive
Syracuse, NY 13210