Woodsmen Compete in Canada
Junior Patrick Craner wins chainsaw event
The ESF men's and women's timber sports teams, known as the Woodsmen's Team,traveled to Sir Sanford Fleming College in Peterborough, Ontario, for a competition Nov. 9.
The competition featured 12 women's teams and 20 men's teams in 15 events. This meet was an opportunity for the ESF teams to compete against traditional rivals Paul Smith's College, Finger Lakes Community College and SUNY Cobleskill as well as several Canadian universities. Participating Canadian colleges included Nova Scotia Agricultural College, McGill University, the University of New Brunswick, Fleming, and Algonquin College (all members of the Canadian Intercollegiate Lumberjacking Association) along with the University of Toronto and Lakehead University.
The ESF men's team finished ninth and the ESF women finished eighth. This was a respectable result given the quality of the competition; Canadian teams
typically employ several coaches and are supported as team sports. Patrick Craner, an ESF junior sustainable construction management and engineering major, placed first in the chainsaw event in an impressive showing.
"The Canadian meets can be humbling at times," said team President Alexandra von Bieberstein, a senior landscape architecture major. "CILA (Canadian Intercollegiate Lumberjacking Association) regulations mean that they are classified as sports teams, practice daily, and have top-of-the -ine equipment. Nonetheless, we had fun and also learned a few things from watching them."
This meet concluded a successful fall 2010 season for the ESF teams, which now begin preparation for the spring season and the "Lumberjack Roundup" home meet.
- ESF Students Celebrate Arbor Day
- ESF Earns ‘Tree Campus’ Distinction
- Oakie to Receive Mascot Madness Trophy
- Syracuse CoE Invites Proposals for Seed Projects in Environmental, Energy Systems
- Renowned Alumnus to Deliver Chemistry Centennial Lecture
- ESF Professor Co-authors Declaration to Support Indigenous Science
- ESF Joins Earth Day Teach-In on National Mall
- ERE Major Builds Lengthy Resume at ESF
- ESF Students Win StoryFest Competition
- Life at ESF Lures Student from San Francisco
- CNY Girls Summit Career Conference Comes to ESF
- Oakie Wins!
- Spotlight Shines on Student Research
- SUNY Honors ESF Student Excellence
- ESF Commits to Bee-Friendly Campus
Office of Communications
122 Bray Hall
1 Forestry Drive
Syracuse, NY 13210